engine choice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joelmcquen

engine choice

Post by joelmcquen »

ok here are my choices used yanmar 6lps with 1200 hours in boat and running for 10000 each used cummins 370 hp 6500 hours for 3700ea or new cummins 305 hp new truck motors 5000 each and marinize kits for 5700 which would be best for my 31 had gassers need diesel for long range
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Joel,

Easy choice... First, the 370s are too much hp for the B31, the truck engines are, well, truck engines & will still be truck engines even after marinization.

The obvious choice are the 6LPs, provided they have been properly cared for by the current owner. What's his reason for not wanting to keep them?

Br,

Patrick
joelmcquen

engines

Post by joelmcquen »

capt he is dealer in washington state and will get new 6lps in his boat in april as i am not in a hurry i can wait do you think 10000 ea is a good price and 1200 hours ok
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Joel, For what it's worth, here are some thoughts

Here in Maryland, new 6lp's are going for between 19k-22k each. So 10k each doesn't sound too bad to me. Do they include gears? if not then 10k sounds a little steep.

My big concern would be (and was in my case) how can I really be certain I'm not buying someone elses junk. You may want to factor in the cost of a complete check-up/minor overhaul.

I'm following a similar route repowering my B35 and though I knew one motor had to be rebuilt, I've allocated for both to be rebuilt if necessary.

Good luck with your search,
JohnD
Michael Gilmartin
Standing Member

Used Diesels

Post by Michael Gilmartin »

Joel:
You mentioned the Yanmar dealer was in Washington. I do not know where you are located. If you are on the east coast shipping will come into play and if there are problems you will probably have little means to adddress them.
I'd go with factory remans from a local dealer with a good reputation and written warranty. It may cost 5K more but I think you would save in the long run.
Regards and good luck in your selection.
Mike G
ed c.

Engines

Post by ed c. »

The yanmars with 1200 hours is a good choice, however it seems funny that he is replacing the engines with the same power, etc. I would get a survey on those engines. Get your own surveyor. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Good Luck
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

I know about the eng. in WA you are considering. Be very careful!