Fiberglas Windshield

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mike1

Fiberglas Windshield

Post by Mike1 »

I have finally decided to replace the aluminum front windshield and side windows on a '66 Sportfish. I know that there are a lot of posts on this topic and have read many of them. My question is which fiberglass kit do I buy? I would appreciate a recommendation from those with first hand experience. Thank you
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Fiberglas Windshield

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

Even with that goofy little port side twist to muscle your way past, hands down the Holmesy kit is the way to go. I've done 4 of his and coached half a dozen other owners through the job.

Bill Holmes
Fiberglass Windshield Kit
Holmesy Company
960 South Old Dixie Highway, Jupiter, FL 33458
(561) 746-3476
http://holmesyco.com/bertram.html
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Mike1

Post by Mike1 »

Thank you for the quick reply. I was hoping to retain the glass and replace with a fiberglass frame set-up as opposed to the insert. I would like to still be able to look forward from inside the cabin. Cabrera emailed me that they are producing them as well as Broadus but I thought that he was still perfecting the fit. Any others out there?
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

If you're wanting to glass in the front (i.e. no windows except for the sides) the Holmesy fiberglass replacement is great. I had mine installed by the yard here in Georgetown and it turned out very nice.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

One of the guys on this board, His name is Bob had brodurus rose do his. I've seen pictures on the Cabrera FB page but haven't seen one installed on a boat yet.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Broadus, installed an entire new fiberglass windshield. On his frames you still have the front windows.
Mike1

Post by Mike1 »

Buzzk
Was the installation on your boat or did you see the final install? I was hoping for some first hand experience with the fit of the final product. When I spoke to Broadus, this was a work in progress
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

No, it's not my boat. I have a 33 Bertram worked on in the same marine industrial park that the windshield is being installed in. I've been going by and watching them build the windshield. It looks good. They took out the entire old windshield along with the side windows and made one out of fiberglass. You can even get them with opening front windows. The curved plastic windows on the corners even have real glass. It's nice.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I bought the Holmesy windshield and also paid him to do the installation,he's good, still working on multi million $vikings in Riveria Beach , it's definitely not a plug and play, when I replaced the side windows I templated them, the strb was 2" longer and 1" less in ht than the port , like the captain has said in the past, u r building your own boat from scratch when u take on this project,either do it when she is resting in the water or when she is shored up , leveled fore and aft, port to strb on the transom, midship ,windshield breadth area,mid ship outboard supports r critical as the boat is quite limber once u remove the front/side windows. U can crank a jack stand up several inches in the midship area and u will not see any change in the aft level or the windshield area, all may come to haunt u when u put her in the water and things don't seem to close right,I still think the water is the best support u can ask for, if u have that option
Mike1

Post by Mike1 »

Thanks for all of the feedback. Marlin that is a very helpful warning. I can do the work on the water as I lease a slip from the boatyard. I am going to talk to Broadus and Cabrera, but the fact that Broadus will do the glass may be the ticket.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Anyone know pricing of the fiberglass frames with the windows?
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Marlin wrote:it's definitely not a plug and play, when I replaced the side windows I templated them, the strb was 2" longer and 1" less in ht than the port
My 1973 B31 must have had the same guy putting in windows as mine were off by exactly the same amount. Mine was a Sportfish. And that was truly accurate advise regarding the change in the boat's shape -- it used to take a week before the head door would open and close properly after it had been on blocks for 7 months.

Best regards,

Tom
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

At over $12k, yes that's $12,500 safe to say that this windshield is out of my league hahaha
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Is that the installed, ready to paint price or the kit, in a box, you do the work price?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

That's the in the box uninstalled price...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That's crazy. I'll bet that Cap't Pat can deliver 'em for $11,750
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315