Advice for boarding options?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Advice for boarding options?

Post by Dug »

Alchemy got a hull paint job this winter, and is looking pretty shiny. As part of that, the swim platform was removed, and there are no steps on the transom as there are on some 31's (and used to be before the platform on Alchemy!).

So I am looking for advice and recommendations for a boarding "system" without over complicating it. I want one that will allow the paint to remain fresh, so rubbing on the side of the boat concerns me. I do swim off this boat a fair amount and its going to be tough to not be able to get back in! Also, Marly loves to swim (for those of you who don't know, she's the 75 german shepherd) and getting her back on board may be tough, unless she's wearing the life jacket with handles.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance!!!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Advice for boarding options?

Post by mike ohlstein »

Gin pole and a sling, like they do on blow boats?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I know you don't want to hear this, Dug, but re-install the swim platform! ;-) Other than Mike's solution above, or cutting in a transom door, I don't know how else to get Marly aboard. Our swim platform came from Butler Marine, and it was custom designed for the curve and the rake of the B-31, so it looks great (They were a vendor for Bertram Yacht when the 31s were being produced). Post up a photo of your "new" 31!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The issue had puzzled me too, but by the time I bought the boat my beloved lab passed so the problem was auto-solved.
I remember though that I had seen somewhere a leaning floating platform that would hang outward from the boat and would be submerged by 30-40 cm so the swimming dog would go up the inclined platform. However you would still need the swim platform because the degree of inclination would be too steep if it were to be hanging from the side.

When I had the dog and the Bombard inflatable, I would wear my dog this full size collar that goes under the armpits. I would then grab him and pull him up,but then again, I was 10 years younger...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dug ...
Do you still have the swim platform ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

only swim in pools
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

The platform is an option for next year, but not this.

I do still have the platform that was removed, but will not be keeping it. Anyone interested? Its solid teak!

If I do another platform, it will be a fiberglass one, painted to match the hull, and flush mounted. Tommy, probably like you describe.

I am less worried about the dog than I am about myself. LOL! Once I am aboard, I can get the dog on board.

As for pics, lets wait until the top is back on. And for real lets wait until next year when above the rail is done. :)

Dug
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Make or purchase a rope ladder that stows easily and attaches to a cleat or the gin pole.

Lift the dog out by hand, if your back can take it. Putting him in a harness will help a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXttVyT1A4
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dug..
Please shoot me a pic of the platform
516-810-0959
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dug,
On our small Boston Whalers I have installed Armstrong ladders. Love them. I have seen them on larger boats too like the size of our 31's. The small bracket would bolt on the transom. The ladder is by far the easiest way to get up and into a boat. http://www.armstrongnautical.com/ladders.htm
Not sure about the dog solution. I would think it's tough to even get a dog on the swim platform. The harness idea seems to be good. I must be a bad dog dad... I don't take our dog on the boat. He swims at the beach and stays home while we are on the boat.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

SteveM wrote:Dug,
On our small Boston Whalers I have installed Armstrong ladders. Love them. I have seen them on larger boats too like the size of our 31's. The small bracket would bolt on the transom. The ladder is by far the easiest way to get up and into a boat. http://www.armstrongnautical.com/ladders.htm
Not sure about the dog solution. I would think it's tough to even get a dog on the swim platform. The harness idea seems to be good. I must be a bad dog dad... I don't take our dog on the boat. He swims at the beach and stays home while we are on the boat.
Steve

Dug- I had a three step Armstrong ladder on a 32' Regulator. It was very easy to use and you would avoid the hull sides issue. As for the dog, well maybe that guy in the Northern Marine capsize video could help you out with some suggestions on how he gets his dog in and out of the boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Having to climb in the old 31 once or twice from the transom was never fun when I was 25 not sure at 63 I want to try what I did then, but I always found that once I had a hand on the gunnel and one foot in the exhaust I was in.

Both times I did it was when pushing her off a sand bar. ONce trying to cut the dam bay at night. The other, a long long story and not our boat, on a friends 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

+1 on the Armstrong. It has enough outward angle to overcome the negative rake of the Bertram transom so that they are easy to climb and the bracket is unobtrusive. I don't know about the dog.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

hey guys, the dog is no issue, I have pulled her on board many times when she is wearing the life jacket, just like what Mike put up. So that is the doggy solution. Actually if she is not wearing the jacket, I have just rolled her onto the platform from the water, as it was really low to the water as those who have seen it can attest.

I may do a rope ladder type thing, and that armstrong ladder is also an option, mounted to the transom, but I have hesitated only because of backing plate needs. It may be the go to direction. I like it though!

Thanks for the input!!!

I will take some shots of the platform over the weekend. Its under my deck along with the supports I still have. I will root around and see if I have any pics of it on the boat too. Also, dimensions, so that I have that question answered.

Thanks for the interest, I kinda forgot there might be some!

Best,

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

And as for dogs on the boat, I am a big advocate for life jackets. Especially after reading my friends face book post from Sunday. She is a sea tow captain and wrote this...

On my way back from a call in Niantic, someone got on the vhf and said they were missing their dog. They last saw him when they were in the vicinity of Ram Island. I happened to be in the vicinity of Ram Island, along with the Stonington Police Boat. The two of us began a search pattern looking for a 15 pound white bichon frise. Joe joined in after he completed his call in new London. After 25 or 30 minutes of searching, I found him. "Grady" was no longer alive. I pulled him out of the water, and performed CPR while I cried "Come ON buddy, BREATHE!!", until the Stonington Police Boat came alongside and determined he was not alive. I wrapped him in my Sea Tow fleece and waited for his family to come for him. I feel very sad right now and can't shake the thought of him drowning all alone.
Please, if you are going to take your pet on your boat, treat them the same way you would your children. They can only tread water for so long, and a life jacket might just save their lives, AND make them more visible to would-be rescuers.
Rest In Peace Grady.

Marly (my dog, a 75 lb german shepherd) rides on the bridge with me 99% of the time, and is never on board unattended unless she is closed in the cabin with the AC. that outcome would be the last thing I would want to have happen to her...
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have a cheap ladder I keep in the engine compartment for everyone. It collapses and hooks slide over gunnel or transom, two peg feet with rubber booties to give some distance from hull.

Nine times outta ten, I use the single folding step on transom. Its one foot on rudder, one onto step and leg over to get in. It is always there.

My pooch was brought aboard with a handle on her vest. Had we done the swim platform she could have climbed the ladder as she did to get out of our pool...takes a little training, but doable.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug: I bet when Marly is wet, she weighs at least 85lbs -- that is one beautiful and thick coat of fur on her. I have a hard time getting Kona into the boat, which does have a swim platform and a boarding ladder -- because the stubborn mutt doesn't want out of the water.

Tom