Limber Holes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

Limber Holes

Post by Rocky »

I know it's been discussed till the cows come home, but let me get this straight on limber hole blocking- USCG states you cannot have any engine bilge to main bilge right? So, I am to block from the aft bilge there not allowing any to center between engine bilge, and also block between cabin bilge and between engine bilge( I'll put Capt Pat's screw cap here) with a low AND high pump per separated compartment,( more like 3 per compartment) right? And this also includes all the higher Limber Holes between these areas, correct? Just doin some glassing of bulkheads and deck ledger/drain races, now seems like a good time to get this handled to. Thanks guys
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Limber Holes

Post by Bruce »

Engine bay block off is a CG regulation.

The block off between mid bilge and fwd is to keep water from fwd bilge where it has a tendency to become smelly and stagnate from deck run off with fish guts and stuff. Since the 31 tends to sit bow down it also keeps all the water from running fwd, losing a pump and the water start to back up and go over the floor boards and create damage and possible sinking bow down as I have seen so many bow low boats do over 30 years.

Its done using a removable screw in or pop in beckson inspection cover. Not a requirement just a preference.

Not enough deck hatch clearance for a high and low pump mount. If you want a high pickup in case of primary pump failure you can mount two pumps side by side or one fwd, one aft in er or use a PAR bilge pump self priming pump with a foot and a bilge switch mounted higher up to activate it.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK Bruce thanks. I just want to be sure while no deck on and all opened up is a good time to take care of this.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

I think some one on the board and it may have been Pete, glassed a PVC pipe into the opening in the engine bay and then capped it off. Thought is if you need too, you can drain the compartment by removing the cap.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That sounds pretty simple too for that area thanks Tony.