Fairing Lines Hull Specs 28 Footer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Judson Witham

Fairing Lines Hull Specs 28 Footer

Post by Judson Witham »

I am old Old Marina Rat from the Adirondacks. I just bought a really nice old 1973 28 footer and being My First Bertram I have lots of Hull Questions so I can Build a Storage Crib. I have some great 6X6 and 4X6 Timbers and want a sturdy and durable bunk for this Craft. I would greatly appreciate any diagrams and drawing of the Hull Specs. I'm planning main supports at the lifting strap points so strake spacings and dead rise information / chine specs and all that stuff would be extremely helpful. I' gonna rename the Boat " Swamp Fox " in Honor of My Dad. He was a WW II Navy Carrier Pilot and I am certain would love this Great Old Bertram. Thanks Judson Witham ( Raised at Harris Bay at Lake George at the Swamp Marina )
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Fairing Lines Hull Specs 28 Footer

Post by Bruce »

Welcome aboard Judson. I was a professional marina rat, now I'm just old.

One of the 28 owners should be along to answer your question.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... =boat+lift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the Sandbox Judson.
I don't have drawings but you can try the above thread out to get you started. There are some pics of my boat on the lift. I think the lift, trailer or storage rack are all one in the same as far as support and spacing go.
The deadrise should be 24 degrees. The lifting strakes are not part of the mold I don't think. In other words Bertram put them on after the boat was out of the mold. They can crack below the bulkhead and fill with water so check yours when you can. I am not sure if the strake design was constant or modified over the years. Mine is a 1980.
If you need the numbers I can measure the distance between my bunks. Will help any way we can on this board.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Judson,
I have a drawing from Bertram titled Docking Plan which has all dimensions from the ground line to the bridge wind screen. It was page 68 of the original Owners Manual. If you prefer, I can send you my complete manual and you can copy whatever you want and return it to me when you are finished. I just took it off the boat yesterday when I put it on the hill until spring.
Welcome to the sandbox
Harry
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Looking at the Bertram 28's Manual's 'Docking Plan' it appears to give dimensions [from the stern going forward] for bunks at 3' 6 1/2" as the first bunk point, 10' 2 1/2" for the second, and and 18' 8 1/2" for the third - which, based on the plans dimensions showing, can only be V bunks as opposed to being longitudinal bunks as no boat widths are shown with respect to bunk placement?

The 'Docking Plan' shows 13" as the above ground line of the keel at the actual stern and 6" as the above ground line of the keel at the bow's 18' 8 1/2" bunk point..............so, relying on the plan alone to build a cradle, you'd have to pull a line to get the levels from the 13" height aft going forward to the bows 6" level for the 3 bunks above ground height at the bottom of the bunk points V's.......

The 'Docking Plan' gives no indication as to degrees of deadrise.........so would be of no help in building a cradle with V bunks without measuring your own hull or assuming a constant 23o deadrise [which is what I believe the B28's deadrise to be at the transom.... but no idea if constant from transom to bow.]

I don't think Bertram changed the B28's hull form in any way through its production run but likely they tried variations location wise of the hollow added on after the hull was moulded strakes....

This link shows the 'Docking Plan' referred to:

http://www.bertram28.com/images/Bertram ... awingL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look at Kevin's e-mail thread and the photos of his B28 on a lift to get a rough idea of longitudinal bunk placement and dimensions / heights, your best bet is to measure your own hul and customize your own cradle accordingly.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Judson

Welcome

Spent many a summer up on Lake George in my youth. Up in the Diamond Point area. Went to college with a guy who lived up on the North end of the lake. Can't remember the town, unfortunately.

I am sure you will find what you need right here, just ask away.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Preston - are you sure the strakes were added after the hull layup was done?

I have never seen this with a fiberglass boat and never on a Bertram. Inside the hull, it may appear that there are no strakes but they might have been filled (think if them as mini stringers for structural stiffness).

Many time the hull will also be designed with glass layup such that the strake is more or less sacrificial and the majority of hull laminate is on the inside of the cored strakes (not sure it that was clear).

I may be off base... And would be interested to hear otherwise.

Ian.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Ian,
Rumour has it my Dad's Bruckmann B28 is the same (strakes added after it came out of the mold).
And that's a high end, quality built, Ray Hunt vis-à-vis Mark Ellis designed boat.
Perhaps they do/did it to accommodate various powering options with one mold(?).
I think there are some other manufacturers that do/did so too.
Cheers,
John
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Ian:

Fair comment!

In my previous post I was referring to the B28's two most inboard strakes which are thinner than the rest of the hull, hollow and prone to stress cracks and water 'intrusion.'

I should have stated...."likely they tried variations location wise of the hollow added on after the hull was moulded like strakes...."
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Judson Witham

Post by Judson Witham »

As a Kid I was raised at the Swamp Marina ( East Shores Harbor ) at Harris Bay, Lake George. I was so incredibly blessed as a Kid. Garwoods, Echos, Richardsons, Rivas, Chris Crafts, Faboans, Goalif, Hacker Craft and many many many others were all the treasure a Kid could ever be blessed with. My first boat was a Speedliner ..... Pretty Cool Huh. Anyway thank You all for the great welcome. I got the 1973 Sportfish 28. It's solid and spartan and all Bertram. I am very much looking forward to tinkering and playing with this Nice Old Classic. I'm gonna name the Vessel after My Dad ..... "Swamp Fox". I'll let you know of My adventure. Thanks

Judson Witham
Son of the Swamp Fox ( Clifford Witham II USN AirCorp WW II Pacific Fleet Deceased )
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Judson, I fly occasionally out of Witham Field in Stuart, Fl. KSUA old Navy field
Bill
Judson Witham

Post by Judson Witham »

Here''s a secret Clan Witham fought with William Wallace ...... see http://www.bing.com/search?q=Witham+Tem ... 0109029769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;