I receintly replaced the wall coverings in the V berth hull sides, a major pain in the butt. After hours of scraping and sanding, preping the surface is the most inportant step. The surface has to be free of all the old glue.
I used a product called K-Grip by Maple Leaf Sales II Inc. it's a foam and fabric spray adhesive (#701 clear HAPS Free is model 12 oz can ). They also make a high heat area adhesive.
I used a white foam backed vinyl material,( Approx 12 yards of 54" wide material.) make a pattern first then work in 2 foot sections when applying the adhesive, unrolling the fabric from bow to stern. Work from the top down to prevent wrinkles and leave a couple of inches at the top over the deck hull flange, then put the headliner up, it's a tight fit but makes a nice clean joint. I used a teak trim battern at the aft section where it meets the hanging lockers. It's a two man job. The right adhesive is the clue to getting it to stay in place.
My headliner was in great condition even after 47 years and all I did was wash it, with a vinyl cleaner. The whole job with all the material, glue and trim cost around $ 400.00, not including my labor, but I makes the V-berth area look like brand new.