Cummins 4BTA 250 hp problems

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Cummins 4BTA 250 hp problems

Post by Dug »

Those of you who have these engines, have you had, or are you having issues with them? Specifically injectors?

I know they had issues, and that there were replacements provided.

I have a neighbor who has a 28' Carolina Classic. His boat is 3-4 years old now, he bought it new. He has those engines.

What a bucket of problems he has had...

He has had injector issues from day one, always attended by factory tech's.

Here is the latest.

He broke a tip and sucked into the piston. It is a ceramic tip, so it wrecked the cylinder of course. (sorry to use the terms interchangeably). Long story short it took Cummins 6 weeks (mid-season, like up until about 2 weeks ago) to decide what to do. I have to credit them, they decided on a new engine. They put in the engine, and an oil fitting was cracked, so the engine ran dry of oil and fried. I know, not injector, but none of the alarms went off, nothing. Back to square one...

He tells me that Cummins will replace the injectors for free every 200 hours, and that some are having it done at 100 hour intervals instead. All at no cost... Jeepers....

Carolina Classic has offered to repower the boat at cost. He is leaning towards the 315 Yanmars as a choice. He likes the idea of a 30 plus knot cruise.

I feel for the guy, as his Cummins have been a complete bust. Too bad...

Anyone living with similar issues? I heard the whole story first hand finally yesterday.

Dug
scot

Post by scot »

Dug,

The injector problems on the 250hp 4BTA are very well documented and basically EVERYONE with that engine has, or may end up with these problems. The only solution I have heard is keeping the engine at, or below 2500 rpm. Some owners report that the injectors "seem" to live at that range.

The Carolina Classic forum is absolutely ripe with post about the 4BTA 250hp injectors. They put that engine in a bunch of the 28 CC's. Some of those guy's carry a spare injector on board.

What a shame because the 155hp 4BTA is reported to be indestructable. Afterall 4B's are in practically every Frito Lay truck in America!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Wow- My injectors were upgraded at the first tuneup on my warrantee and last season (almost 2000 hours later) I put in a new set on one engine after I had a failed injector pump rebuilt. Otherwise, no problems at all. I'm surprised. Walter
scot

Post by scot »

Whalter,

You are certainly getting getting good service from yours. Cummins claims the current injector P/N has solved the problems (per the boatdiesel.com "B" series owners board). One of the postings on that site listed the latest P/N.
Scot
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walter - the 6Bs don't have the problem, just the 4Bs. My 6Bs have about 2500 hours and not a single injector has ever been out of either engine.

Doc had the injector problem on his 4Bs but the new Bosch injectors seem to have fixed his......

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scot,

I knew there had been issues. And almost that the issues were guaranteed to happen.

I just didn't know that it was this pervasive, or that it required constant babysitting to that degree. I feel for this guy, as he had bought a new boat, with new power etc. What a test of patience... He has lost most of his short fishing season up here...

Not sure I would buy those engines.

Wow.

Dug
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dug,
If I were your neighbor, I wouldn't put a dime in that Carolina Cut Up.
One of the boats in my top 10 to never ever work on again.

If someone gave me one, I'd insure it, then sink it and buy something else.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I was on a CC28 at the boat show a couple of years ago. As we were standing in the cockpit, I asked the sales person where the fuel tanks where. He told me I was standing on them. I looked down and could find no way for the deck to come up with out cutting it (unlike my 28 and 33 Berts where the cockpit can be popped right out).

I told him I thought it was a little short sighted not to provide owners with a way to get to the tanks without cutting up the boat. His reply was "Why would you need to get to the tanks?"
Regards,

Doug L.
scot

Post by scot »

Bruce...
If someone gave me one, I'd insure it, then sink it and buy something else.
How do you really feel about the boats? I have never been on one but I was under the impression they were very high end, heavy, well made boats.

I know the owners are a proud group but I guess that comes from paying so much....those are some high $$$$ rides.
Scot
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've been on a couple, Bruce was being nice.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I know the owners are a proud group
So are the parents of the kids who ride the short bus.

But they still ride the short bus...............
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

ummmmmm, like Mikes dogs????
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

And Hatteras owners.

-Chiles