Awlgrip or Awlcraft clear coat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Awlgrip or Awlcraft clear coat

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey guys,
Has anyone used a clear coat over their Awlgrip or Awlcraft paint job? Any advantages or disadvantages?
Much thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Buju

Re: Awlgrip or Awlcraft clear coat

Post by Buju »

Yes John, I have applied Awlcraft clear over Awlgrip, Awlcraft, and a few other polyester-urethanes and acrylic-urethanes.
Awlcraft clear is gin-clear- some other clears may slightly discolor the underlying paint.

As long as the prep is sufficient, and the application goes well it can add a good deal of "depth" to the paint. Also ads additional protection from abrasion, impact, etc.
That said, it can be a major PITA as well. Long term, down the road problems. Chipping, loosing transparency/discoloration from UV, etc.
I wouldn't do it unless the boat is going to be a dock queen.
If I remember correctly you've got a beautifully redone fighting lady yellow Bahia Mar... I'd leave the fork stuck in her.

Unless there is a specific reason you're considering it?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Whatever you decide to do.. DON'T apply any wax to AwlGrip or AwlCraft 2000. Not ever! Never!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I've used the clear coat on our transom

It offered some protection to the name and base paint from the diesel soot and constant washing that takes place on the transom. When the clear begins to look shotty a simple wet sand through the clear and reshoot make the transom look like new again.

My only experience is on the transom and its been worthwhile
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks for all of the great advice over the years. The canvas people are finishing up the Macrolon enclosure next week and then the painter is going to reshoot the hull sides when there's a break in the weather...we accumulated a couple of nice scratches over the years. A one year project turned into seven or so...everything else is done except for the survey and insurance. I wonder how the Yanmar people will treat the warranty after this long?
Thanks again.
John.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I wonder how the Yanmar people will treat the warranty after this long?
Forget it John... There is no potential warranty left to discuss with them. A two year stretch is about all they'll choak down.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Capt Patrick,
Oh well...they sound good running from the garden hose...keep my fingers crossed. Just heard from the canvas lady...enclosure is done! Paint is next, then, upper station of tower lifted on...tower already rigged with quick disconnects for plug and play.
Almost there!
John.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hey john
how about some pics buddy
1968 hull # 316 - 757
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Charlie,
Anything for you, pal. I'll get Pam to take some and post them next week. We completely redesigned the helm area and transom fish box...Promise not to laugh?
John.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i promise, looking forward to seeing them
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

What say we have a sea trial party in March? Ill load up a bus ful of boys and head for your shack! Stock up on whiskey and ass wipe.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Back to the original question. I am preparing to repaint Dreamsicle's orange because the color went to hell. Awlcraft originally. It lasted about eight years and faded and spotted and basically pooped out. Awlgrip naturally claimed no responsibility but would cover the cost of the paint. Big of them, huh? Later they said that any color with red in it will fail. I had decided to repaint another color but my wife pointed out that the orange (which I love) had lasted that long and that I would be close to eighty by the time it happened again if it did happen, and probably wouldn't give a s#*t. So, orange it is. The painter I use has been shooting Awl Grip and Awl Craft for decades and suggested that clear may help slow the fade. Thoughts?
Also, what's the scoop on no wax. never heard that before. Does that include some of the new stuff like Rejex (sp)?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yeah, I want to hear about the wax too. My awlgrip paint job was done in 2006 and the topside looks terrible. Hull looks ok so I suspected it was sun damage and bad prep work.....by me ofcourse.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Im going Awlgrip, with clear over transom for the same reason JP noted, Kevin after the billion hours of prep and sanding I have logged rubbing down my 31 I hope the paint job lasts at least 10 years. I am convinced the many layers of 545 and high build primer helps to add years to any paint job. After each layer of priming and fairing I can see the finish shine through, like Bob Lico said in a post a while back there is a big difference between flat and smooth...Raybo showed how thats done..A lesson I have learned the hard way..I have a new found respect for the guys who shoot paint for a living... they earn every penny..should get to painting the hull by weeks end..fingers crossed...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Goober

Post by Goober »

Need help on new window frames . Replacing rear bulkhead windows with teak frames I want to put a few coats of epoxy then rapid clear then wood finish clear. question is how do I thin epoxy to rub and cure 2to4 coats befor moving to next phase
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Goober wrote:question is how do I thin epoxy
Thin epoxy only with denatured alcohol. A little goes a long way and don't exceed 10%...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Goober

Post by Goober »

Your advice is as usual timely and wise Thanks BR goober