Engine Room Rot

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Engine Room Rot

Post by conchy joe »

Ok, the wife and I spent the last two days removing all of the wiring, old engine bunks, degreasing, etc, in preparation for the new Cummins 4BT's.

Anyhow we found some rot on the forward and rear bulkheads, between the inside stringers.

The rot is about 8" wide and 12" high. Everything around is solid.

Whats the most sensible way to repair this? Cut out, replace and reglass the entire bulkhead? Sister a new composite bulkhead over the old?

Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79792193@N02/6997062942
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Troy, My engine bulkheads were rotted all over top pt side and bottom like yours, but mine only had a lil bit of glass and lots of paint. The rear engine bulkhead is less of a structural bulkhead compared to the forward one. The engines are pushing forward and trying to go through your boat in that direction. Id cut out the rot and wet stuff, make a patch with coosa, making sure to cut water channels in the bottom of that patch to let the water run fore n aft, then Id add at least two layers of 1708, maybe some roving in between, then Id tab it back to the hull along the bottom after a healthy fillett of hight density/microfibers. Then work on sistering your engine bed stringers to push against that bulkhead, making sure ALL your tabbing is up to snuff...White glass in a bertram means fractured or weak connections, look for good DARK green glass..Green=Good..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Dang Bob......those pics are from a while ago.....bet your glad to be past that point! ! !

hb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Borrow a moisture meter and check the wood around it.
It may seem solid but if moisture is present it will be tough to bond to and will rot.
Congrats on getting the wife to help. She's a keeper.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Bob, I am the manager of Crescent Sail Yacht Club in Grosse Pointe Michigan. My boyfriend is a Bertram guy. I spend Sundays looking at all your posts. Because this is so important in our world. I was wondering would your wife like to text me while you all disscuss engines? Lots of wine tonight. But I do care about Bertram. I have bought Bertram rugs, Betram everything. My only goal is to meet Captain Patrick, my boyfriends HERO.
Marlin

Engine room rot

Post by Marlin »

Troy, where is the boat,with the bridge out I don't get to the west side as often but would love to see your project,went thru 20 plus sheets of coosa on my project,may be able to help
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Marlin, I sent you a PM with my contact information. I would love for you to come by.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL