hynautic helm rebuild

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

hynautic helm rebuild

Post by spencer »

searched the site and came up with a few names for rebuilding the hynautic helms, has anyone had one done recently and have the name and number

Thanks

Spencer
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Did you get Charman Enterprises?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walter - after looking at the $425+ price tag for a new cylinder for my Seastar, I'm gonna call Charman tomorrow....but do I remember a thread here recently to the effect that the guy that did the work at Charman retired and they no longer do cylinder rebuilds?

If true, any other sources for a rebuild, Faithful?

UV
In Memory Walter K

If they aren't doing it, it's a shame. The only guy I can think of is Andy Ceslow out here who did a rebuild of a helm for Bob Fiorese and me. He's usually busy, but it may be easier during the winter months. His number is 1-631-335-0823. Usually you'll get a recording. When you leave a message, tell him you were given his name by Walter Kaprielian "Bluebeard" from Bertram 31.com. If he can do what you need, you can probably send it to him via UPS or Fedex. Walter
spencer

Post by spencer »

yes, that was the name that came up on the search, also I think it was from a post in september 2010, the post said the person doing the rebuilds left the company and a new number was given for a different person, but was trying to get in touch with someone who one of the members have actually used recently.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, guys, I'll get on the horn tomorrow. Baton Rouge is a heavy industrial town so there are lots of hydraulic shops around so I may try to have it fixed locally. The seal kit is readily available but I learned my lesson on trying to work on hyd. stuff years ago....its not one of those things that gives you a second chance. Its a pro game.

UV
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I seem to recall a guy out of Indiana that was doing rebuilds.

It was a couple computers ago, but I distinctly recall sending my helm off to Indiana being an option when my helm was leaking.
spencer

Post by spencer »

did the site search again got the number for a guy in florida
company name Southern charm, 1-800-745-0765
name of contact Charlie Walker

I have the H50 helm on my bertram 25, quoted a rebuild for 190.00 for a standard without replacment of any major parts just seals etc.

Also Walter gave a number of a guy, Ill try the southern charm company, will let everyone know how it goes
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV: Take it to the local hydraulic shop. You have lots of them down there.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ain't nuthing special about hydraulics except keeping dirt out and throwing anything away thats pitted and/or meets a seal face.

They really are quite simple and since many of us are simple minded it really works out well.
In Memory of Vicroy

Okay Faithful, here is the straight scoop. Charman Enterprises, Inc. in Indiana - which had been rebuilding hydraulic steering stuff for years is now out of business. I spoke to Mike at their phone number, who is the guy that actually used to work on the stuff. The owner retired and "parted out" his business, and Mike bought the marine lighting end and the steering parts were scattered around. Mike refers steering to Southern Charm in the St. Pete, FL area, 800.745.0765. Southern Charm is owned by Charlie Walker, who is also a charter boat operator and his boat is named........you guessed it, Southern Charm. A nice lady named Pat runs the hydraulic repair end and she was very helpful. You give her your email address and she sends you a form to fill out with a repair order number to include when you send your cylinder or helm unit in for repair. A re-seal job on an aluminum cylinder is $190 unless they find something else major wrong, and the normal helm unit repair is also $190. She says they currently run only a 2-3 day turnaround on steering stuff. They also service Hynautic as well as Teleflex, and have a reliable parts source for both.

I'm going to remove my leaking cylinder and send it to them next week. I enjoyed talking to Pat and got a firm sense they are a first rate place.

And now you know the rest of the story.....

UV
In Memory Walter K

Thanks UV- Seems like all good things come to an end too soon nowadays. The saving grace is that Southern Charm is a small personal company that seems to be professional and personable.