Dirt Daubers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Dirt Daubers

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Okay Faithful, with the collective wisdom here we gotta be able to figure out some method to repel dirt daubers and keep them from building nests in dark out of the way places. Yesterday I removed the Stamoid instrument panel cover on AJ to find a big ass dirt dauber nest built right on the Sitex SP-70 autopilot head....ouch....and right next to the plastic container of moth balls....moth balls don't work.

Figuring that CX is good for just about anything, I soaked some paper towels with the stuff and placed it under the instrument panel cover. We shall see. The little suckers are not just a mess, they destroy stuff....major problem for us down here...they get under the cowl of outboard motors, into the electrical ends of gensets, on the blades of ceiling fans and un-balance them, all kinds of stuff. The nests you can see are easy enough to kill and get rid of, but I'm looking for something to repel them and keep them from building in the first place.

Ideas?

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

Good luck. I don't think there is anythign that will keep them out completely. I gut them under the gunnels.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Try Patron!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yea right it can put down a human right quick i am sure it could take out a slew of those bastards.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Major

Post by Major »

One thing that doesnt work from my experience are the WHY traps. Its for wasps hornets and yellow jackets and they dont go to it for who knows why. Guess they dont like the bait that comes with it.

If they are nesting in the same spots some sprays have something in them to keep them away. My problem is wasps and the spectracide commercial in the grey and black can works the best. It pretty much knocks them out of the sky. I even have nests where they didnt even fall off they just died in place. It also got a lasting effect that is sopposed to kill any stragglers that come back later. Ive killed probably a couple hundred from last summer to now and havent seen hardly any this time. for the dirt daubbers i just spray it on their dirt tunnels then knock them down a few days later. Anyway no other spray has worked better for me.

I know its not what you were looking for but maybe it will help.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

How about a little pepper spray. If it works in the bottom paint it might be worth a try.
Patron might attract a larger nuisance, like neighbors!
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

UV, I hung three soxs full of moth balls in various places on my bridge, they still built nests but seemingly fewer.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, I put a plastic container of moth balls under the cover and they first built nest ON the container, this time just a few inches from it.

May have to hire a small guy with a fly swatter, same sort of guy that turns the light on in your refrigerator when you open de do'.

'Come on Faithful, there gotta be a magic potion?

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Brewster says PAM works as anti-fouling on his running gear. I'm trying it on my 20 outdrive. Nothing seems to stick on it. A thought? It's clear, and smells like butter.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:they get under the cowl of outboard motors, into the electrical ends of gensets, on the blades of ceiling fans and un-balance them, all kinds of stuff.
Don't forget the "Pee" tube on the outboard motor.....

H
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

cypermethrin
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic-Call Bob LeBlanc, the ultimate bug killer.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, I'll get some pronto. Walter, Bob does roaches...he sells about 5 million cans of his Bengal Roach Spray a year and the stuff is like CX for roaches.

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

My A/C wasn't pumping and they had plugged up the thru hull with their gritty mud.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

I ordered a pound jar of Cynoff WP in powder form from (no kidding) www.domyownpestcontrol.com last night, about $58 but makes a lot of spray. So good they can't sell it in New York. Leaves a residue that kills all kinds of nasty critters for 90 days.

Dirt daubers gonna DIE!!!

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Used the Cynoff on the camp and boats. Death Powder for sure. Kills everything - dirt daubers, ants, wasps, spiders, gnats, you name it, it kills it. Amazing stuff. One pound makes about 50 gallons, so really pretty cheap in the long run, but best of all it works.

UV