HELP!!!! need to sell 1979 28 FB Bertram

Have a part? Need a part? Post it here!

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

HELP!!!! need to sell 1979 28 FB Bertram

Post by Cturtle »

I just opened and email from Homer Smith Marinia advising me that our previous agreement on Dock Fee could not carry over to next year and would jump from $7,200 to $8,500. My wife recently retired and our son doesn't graduate from college until May 2024 so I am forced to yell UNCLE and tap out. If any of you, my brothers, can come to my aide and advise me how to sell my boat. I would be indebted to you forever. I don't have a trailer and was racking my brain to ask if buying a trailer would be advisable or just another short term expense unwarranted. Perhaps having it hauled out and put on the hard for sell may be more advisable than buying a trailer. My biggest regret is that I opened the email and 11:00 pm and I will get no sleep now. If anyone can advise please call me at 443-421-4395 Doug
Carl

Re: HELP!!!! need to sell 1979 28 FB Bertram

Post by Carl »

Spending money is not often the best way to save money.

IF keeping the boat is feasible, provided the dockage can be had for less, have you looked into other marinas? Pricing can vary tremendously from one to another. Of course that could mean everyplace else is higher...but looking and asking around doesn't hurt. Often, a couple less amenities, and a longer ride to the "boating waters" is sometimes worth a nice pocket savings plus you get to meet new people and find new ways to enjoy boating. ALSO having a boat in the water running is in my opinion the BEST way to sell a boat.

Unfortunately, marinas raising the rates seems to be a trend.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Around here (mid-Chesapeake) there are a lot of private water front property owners that rent slip space for way less than marinas charge. There have to be a dozen or so just on the creek I live on. Good luck
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have to agree with Carl. Putting it on the hard will be a pain. If you get to the Survey point it will need a sea trial. You will have to re-prep the engines for storage if it does not sell.

I would turn it over to a broker if you are in a real rush. If they have storage space they may cut a deal with you until it sells.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 21:42 Putting it on the hard will be a pain. If you get to the Survey point it will need a sea trial. You will have to re-prep the engines for storage if it does not sell.

You're right Tony, those are good points I wasn't considering. I was thinking more of an older boat on land, seen from the work aspect. The boat is seen from the hull sides with the bottom and running gear exposed, a boat that has to be climbed up on to be seen. Compare that to a running boat in the water. A boat that can be stepped on and seen from the enjoyment point of view. A boat that can be cranked up and started then taken for a quick spin to get those impulse buyer juices moving.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

Tagging on John F.'s reply, there are several apps and websites for dock "sharing" like Dockshare, Piershare, Dock Skipper, etc. I've even seen a few on Facebook Marketplace. Hope you can find a reasonable one and if not, the best of luck on the sale.
Looking for my next boat!