fuel pump

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

fuel pump

Post by Bill G. »

Has anyone had a fuel pump problem? Have a gremlin I can't find idle drops by itself- rebuilt carb,swapped distributers,swapped coils and no luck.Someone mentioned to me that possibly the pump is pumping to much pressure to the Quadrajet causing to much fuel and bringing down the idle? pressure at 7.2.TXS for any input you guys may have......Bill G
Rawleigh

Re: fuel pump

Post by Rawleigh »

mechanical pump? If so i doubt it has too much pressure, but the hotrod crowd use pressure regulators that Jegs of Summit sells that screw into the carb inlet port.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Yes mechanical
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Did you swap the carbs just to see if it affects the other motor the same way? Could rule out Carb quickly that way.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Hey Mark I did swap them but it didn't follow.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I've had a similar problem that would only come up after I had run the boat and then bring it back to idle. Pump wouldn't slow the rate of fuel and would flood the carb. I was good idling at the dock and then running Distance but when I'd bring her back to idle to enter a 5 mph zone she'd stall. Went with an electric fuel pump.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Txs Peter,did you notice any issue when you opened up the secondaries?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I was getting reving issues couldn't keep a steady RPM
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Sounds almost exactly like my problem when I kicked in the secondaries the idle would surge up and down,when I shut it down and restarted it it would be normal.Originally I was thinking I had 2 separate issues but I'm now thinking fuel pump.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

If it means anything, this motor had a "bare bones" rebuild just prior to me buying it after a new fuel tank and ethanol problems. It had been a thorn in my side for a long time.
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Txs again Peter it's been the same for me for 2 seasons I retanked 4-5 yrs ago and replaced my gas lines with ethanol proof rubber hose from the tank to the pump and last year that same side ran like crap found black particles in the in line filter and replaced the hose and rebuilt carb but the problem stayed.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I hope that's your problem and you get it cleared up. That no confidence feeling is really bad when you want to make plans and go down to the boat with fingers crossed.

The upside for me is I am really good at running the boat on one motor with the small rudders.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you need the carbs rebuilt, Carbs Unlimited did a great job on mine 10 years ago. They test run every one and have a six month warranty.

http://www.carburetion.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Txs Rawleigh strange enough ran it on Sunday and it didn't miss a beat and I did nothing except put a pressure gauge on it last week not sure if that's good or bad.1st boat I ever had that fixed it self now I can see why everybody so crazed with these little boats. BR ....Bill