petrol to diesel switch

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

petrol to diesel switch

Post by Todd Pearce »

If a tank has a reaction to e 10 and the fuel is removed and replaced by non eth petrol or diesel does the problem go away? In New Zealand we dont have any e10 gas, so wont be a problem .also when was this fuel introdced ? The boat i`am looking at hasn`t been run for a number of years so tank may be ok
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What state was the boat fueling up in? It was not an across the board switch at one time. The other question is, was the fuel in question sitting in that tank and for how long?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ethanol as a whole here has been around for 5/6 years. It usually took 1 to 2 seasons for the problem to show up.

Winterized boats that sat seemed to show the issues faster than those boats that were used all year.

I frankly up until I retired in 2010, didn't see much issue down in SE Florida. We didn't get corn gas till after the N Easters though.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

boat is NJ and I dont know when it was last used ,will try to find out, but does the problem go away if you stop using the e10?
In Memory Walter K

I have to assume (others please chime in) that once the Ethanol fuel is completely gone from the tank, and refilled with diesel, the deterioration process will stop, BUT whatever damage that has been caused is permanent. If it was my boat and I was going to the expense of new (or used) diesels, I would find the cost of replacing the tank a wise investment as having gone through an ethanol ruined engine I would be afraid of having any floating dissolved fiberglass finding its way through my new engines. No matter what, replacement of ALL fuel hoses from the fill cap and vents is a must because their interiors have all been degraded. This stuff is invisible and unfilterable and what it does is glue your closed valves down when your engines cool causing bent bent pushrods when you start up cold. On carburetors and sparkplugs, they cause gumming and carbon buildup. I hate to think what that stuff could do to an injector pump and injecter tips. Tank replacement should be a negotiating point on a new purchase.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

Ethanol became an issue in 2006 here in NJ. So if the boat was gassed up in 2006, you have a problem.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

You guys are Great,Charlie is looking at her for me soon so I`ll have him ask when she was last filled,thanks again to all for the invaluable help
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Ethanol was introduced to Massachusetts in 2006. That year, I ran approx 1500 gallons through the tank on my 1986 33. I never had one issue.

Due to the age/hours that were on the original 454's, I re-powered with RTO Cummins B series for the 2007 season.

I've still never had an issue and I don't expect to.
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

A 1986 tank was probably made of different fiberglass resins than the 1960's and 70's vintage. I can almost guarantee you a frozen valve and crapped up plugs and carburetors with 1500 gallons of ethanol laced fuel in a older model.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I agree Walter.
Regards,

Doug L.
Carl

Re: petrol to diesel switch

Post by Carl »

Dad converted to Diesel when he thought his old gas 440's were finally giving out...hard starting, lost power, started burning lots more fuel then normal.
He has a 1966 Hatteras with Fiberglass tank...

Turns out he was having ethanol problems, although to a much lesser degree as he was buying most of his fuel from Jersey a non-ethanol state at the time...anyway, I found that out after the fact as I knew what to look for ...had the sticky black goo on plugs and carb had a film of black crud.

To your point...he had tank cleaned and lots of crap came out...flaking gel coat...didn't think much of it at the time as Glass tanks lasted a lifetime.
Ran it and had flakes clog filters for a time...he got into a polish the fuel routine and eventually no more flakes and all was good.
Been about 10 years since he converted and tanks still in boat.

Maybe he converted in time to save tank...