Looking for an alternative to replacing main tank this year.

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gary McEntee

Looking for an alternative to replacing main tank this year.

Post by Gary McEntee »

I have a 1977 31 bertram that I have run out of Montauk NY for the past 5 years.
I have only used the boat maybe 100 hours a season for the past few years.

While I have not had any problems to date (that I am aware of) with the ethanol and my fuel tank, after reading all the posts on this website I am convinced that it is just a question of when. I have the floor up so I will have acess to check the top of the tank and replace the fuel hoses. However I have the slip paid for this year and don't want to take on the main tank replacement this season for a number of reasons and would perfer to undertake the work over next winter.

I have two 35 gallon alumium saddle tanks that I am replacing (had some sludge in the bottom and when I pulled the tanks to clean them saw that they needed to be replaced. Quote was $650 each to manufacture). My intent is to use the saddle tanks for the balance of this season, fishing inshore. Nice to have friends with their own boats to fish offshore.

So here is my question.

1) Will running fuel from the new saddle tanks clean any previous deposits within the engine from the old gas and fiberglass tank or are the residues there until I complete a major overhaul of the engines? Has anyone had any experience with this?
2) I probably have 150 gallon of gas in the fiberglass tank from last year, I have used stablizer everytime I fill the boat and when I winterized the boat, also checked the carb and spark plugs with no visible signs. Can I bleed out the gas in the fiberglass tank over the course of the season while using the gas from the new saddle tanks to "cleanse " the potential impacts on the engine?
3) If not how do I dispose of the old gas in the fiberglass tank when I replace the tank this winter.
4) What is the current thinking as far as new main tanks. Type and manufacturer. Any idea on costs?
My intentions are to stay with the existing 454 gas engines untill I decide to do a major retro fit on the boat.

Thoughts and experience are appreciated.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Gary,

A friend of mine replaced his fiberglass tank last winter with an aluminum tank made locally here. His 454 engines were running poorly, so after the tank change and with fresh fuel, he added Sea Foam to the tank and he claims that after two aplications, his engines are now running fine.

As far as the gas in the fiberglass tank, after seeing what ethanol did to my friends tank, I would not take a chance on it and get rid of it. I don't know how you can get rid of it, but I wouldn't burn it in anything I cared about. I replaced my fiberglass tank before it ever got exposed to ethanol and I replaced it with a tank made from vinylester and glass. Supposedly, it is impervious to 100% ethanol. I don't know about that, but they are building gas station holding tanks out of the same stufff.

Good luck.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Gary-Which 31 out of Montauk are you and where are you staying? Mine is Bluebeard out of Bob Rando's place right next door to Montauk Marine Basin. My Ethanol problems were on my B-20 Bahia Mar in 3 Mile Harbor. If your deck is up and your tank is accessible, there are a few LI tank makers that might be able to make a replacement for you fairly quickly. You are doing the right thing in changing your hoses right now. As far as getting rid of your old fuel is concerned, both Randall and I went to the Town Supervisor of East Hampton in an attempt to get rid of ours legally to no avail. I suggest you ask your marina if they might want it for purposes other than boat engines (cleaning parts, etc.). Landscaping companies may take it off your hands for their blowers and weed whackers, but DON'T put it in your car. Working off your saddle tanks is a good idea. For quite a while Randall was purchasing Avgas (no Ethanol) from East Hampton airport and taking it in his truck in Jerry cans for his B-25.
Gary McEntee

Post by Gary McEntee »

Walterk ,

I am over in Snug Harbor, he boats name is "Off The Sauce" however the boat is still in Ulhiens yard until I reinstall the saddle tanks. I will instal them myself but as far as the main tank next winter any thoughts as to a local yard some one can recommend to either purchase the new tank from or complete the whole replacement and installation?

Is there a list of tank manufactures/suppliers identified somewhere on this site that I can begin to talk to about my options for the new tank ( costs, longevity and ease of installation).

Thanks again
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you have the original Nautilux covered 3 panel deck, removal of the center panel exposes the entire tank. Getting it out is best discussed with someone who did it once. The sides in mine were foamed in, but a sawzall would cut through that like butter. The bottom of the tank is held with some putty type stuff and some pop the tank out easily, while others struggle with it. If you're at Uhlein's talk to Bob Fiorese who has the yellow Express Cruiser Frayed Knot. His is a gasser and he has an aluminum tank now.
Gary, post your request on the General discussions read. Specify Eastern LI. I'm sure you will get input big time.