I think ethanol got me

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jim M.

I think ethanol got me

Post by Jim M. »

Having a '79 FBC with no problems thought I might be safe. Wrong! Tore down Starboard engine, one bent push rod, tore down port engine, one broken pushrod. Looks like no damage to pistons, cams, etc. Valve job, and new fuel tank. Talking to Alex W. about fiberglass tank. Getting quicker at getting heads off, 3 1/2 hours, but it is not fun. Hope everyone else is having a better day.
Jim
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Usually you will find resin residue on the valves. Looks like a black goo.

Good luck, sory to hear about your problem.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sorry to tell you, you're never safe as long as ethanol is in your fuel. It WILL get you. Engines cool down and the closed valves get glued down. Start em up and bent pushrods. Had the same problem on my B-20. Had a season and a half thinking it was everything else. Rebuilt carburetor, fuel pump, electronic ignition, etc. As much as you may not like them, consider an aluminum tank replacement. If they ever go to E-15, you don't know what that might do to a new fiberglass tank. Mercruiser told me if they went to E-15, all bets were off on my new engine warranty. Replace all fuel lines and vent lines too. Ethanol eats the old hoses out on the inside. Ugh!
Bill Mckinnon

ethanol

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Had the same problem. Decieded to go to diesel was the best option for me. I saved a piece of the old fuel take to show people. I went with a new aluminum fuel tank .25 thick and all new hoses. best of luck to you

Bill Mckinnon
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

Thanks everyone. Yes, the machine shop doing the heads said the stuff was really difficult to get off. They had never seen it before. Still looking at tank options, you may be right about the E15 issue with new fiberglass tanks. Is it safe to run the boat for a couple of weeks before new tank?
Tanks again,
Jim
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

No you need a new tank.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

All you'd be doing would be passing that crap through your engines again. No fiberglass tank-aluminum or SS, change every fuel hose and line to new ethanol proof ones. A very risky thing to pass that fuel through again. In fact, don't even think of putting it into your new tank. Get rid of it.
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

Got it. Thanks again.
Jim