Mixing Ethanol and NON-Ethanol Gas

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RussP

Mixing Ethanol and NON-Ethanol Gas

Post by RussP »

Has anyone heard of problems mixing ethanol and non-ethanol gas in a car. When were at the track we use 94 octane ethanol free gas but on the street were forced to use the blended gas. I would think you would be dilutung the ethanol gas but who knows.
Thanks,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Russ,
No issues mixing the gas. I wouldn't use even high grade ethanol in any high performance car built for track use.

I've seen such a mix of performance issues using ethanol in an engine built for performance. Ask you builder, he is the last word on whats required to get peak performance and keep the engine from issues like detonation.

A good friend owns a Testarosa and has had numerous performance issues and spent tons of money checking it out. I told him to fill up out at PBIR and after 1/2 a tank things went away.

He now keeps 55 gallon drums of the stuff in his garage and fills from them.

Gone are the days of the 60's and 70's where you could get good gas at the pumps.

We pay 175.00 for a 55 gallon drum of Methanol. Use about 15 gallons a run right now with the tune fairly fat.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Greetinga Bruce,
This ethanol thing is with the GT3. At Sebring they only have non ethanol gas but we also take it on the streets from time to time. With the 911RSR I blend race fuel to 105 octane. Running 112 seemed to be too rich for a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. Dam that race gas costs a lot but it smells realy good. Thanks for the reply.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Russ - ever try 100 octane LL (low lead, but more lead than street gas used to have) aviation gas?

UV
RussP

Post by RussP »

The airport down here won't sell avgas unless it's going in a plane. We could get leaded 94, 100 and 112 octane at the track. Some Sunoco stations have leaded racing gas 100 octane but for a dollar or two more I could get 112. It doesn't come cheap, between 7.50 and 9.50 a gallon and I get around 8 miles to the gallon. Sebring is 3.7 miles so I'm burning close to 1/2 gallon per lap. Not a cheap sport but it is lots of fun.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

112 is too much for a 10.5 compression motor.

Your compression pretty much will dictate what you run in terms of octane.
RussP

Post by RussP »

I agree, fuel burn was too slow. bringing the octane down made a big differance.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

There is something of a contradiction of us guys that run big boats bitching about 8 mpg.......we revel in getting 1.3 in our diesel B31s....but watch out, the CNIC is gonna outlaw racing along with 100 watt bulbs.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

avgas...who would run on that?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I thought that there were some compatibility issue mixing ethanol with the prior oxygenate. Didn't it sludge up?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »