Corn

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Corn

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Re: Corn

Post by CamB25 »

Good Youtube! thanks
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

One big aspect left out is how corn ethanol lined the pockets of so many...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl wrote: Mar 11th, '22, 10:56 One big aspect left out is how corn ethanol lined the pockets of so many...
Well, given the way it removed the lining of tanks and fuel lines I guess a little re-lining was in order. Fortunately, the pockets that got lined were sufficiently deep...

Am I correct this warning only showed up after we figured it out?

Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

No, the early on the problem was E10 or 10% ethanol sent to every pump saying it was fine for everyone and made no difference. At 10% ethanol, that was almost true for "most" of the newer cars and boats.

The 10% did compromise alot of the older rubbers and plastics found on fuel systems...but kinda in the minority and became just a problem for those affected. Like Bertrams and Hatteras boats with older Fiberglass tanks that were once deemed to be "lifetime tanks". Many outboards and carbs, injectors etc....fuel lines.

E15 could not be put out as an only choice at the pump seeing 15% ethanol eats rust, eats aluminum and affects a whole lot more than 10% E10. It was said to be safe on most cars newser than 2001...but really safe on the "Flex" vehicles meant to burn this higher concentration fuel. As it could cause too many issues for too many people- - the pumps MUST display the sticker on the pump with E15 blend.

I have yet to see a pump around here with Flex Fuel. I have seen many vehicles displaying the stickers saying they Can use E15. Why buy those vehicles that can utilize E15 when E15 is not around here. Simple "Incentives"...at least around here.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The other issue is the more alcohol the leaner the burn. That can be problematic on a boat engine since it is always heavily loaded.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31