BERTRAM 25 FUEL TANKS

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kingchevy

BERTRAM 25 FUEL TANKS

Post by kingchevy »

Hey Guys,

Has anyone replaced the fiberglass fuel tanks in 1965 B25 express with something different?
I have 400litres on board and was hoping to get atleast 600 but hopefully 800.
in the photos below I see some people have cut out the stringer between the 2 tanks to make one big tank is that safe for hull integrity?
I have twin fiberglass 200 litres each like in the photos been the express model I have twice the space above the tanks you do on the flybridge cruiser.

kingchevy

Re: BERTRAM 25 FUEL TANKS

Post by kingchevy »

I can't seem to make the photos I have work...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I was able to fix one of your links, but the others didn't lead anyplace.....

If you have a link to a Google album, please post it as a URL.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

since you posted a photo of my boat, let me tell you the story of it....

I cut out the center stringer between the 46 gallon fuel tanks and glassed in a piece of 3/4" marine ply the year that ethanol came out (that piece is the 1st section closest to where I was standing while taking the picture). I then ran the boat with (2) 28 gallon tanks for almost 10 years in that config.

My I/Os finally got the better of me and I decieded to convert the boat to outboard power. As a part of it, I wanted to increase the tank capacity and get the weight further back to offset going from twin I/Os to a single outboard. Thus the old battery box was cut out and I added another flat section of plywood and glassed it in. This allowed me to put a 140 gallon fuel tank in that location.

extended flat section for larger tank
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KD29GtkTSYESUNSaA

tank installed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7kVhWWGJYP12ud8MA

I have not completed this project so I can't comment on how it performs but I do not see any issues with the config that I ended up with, I've reinforced the hull to stringer joint in a significant way and made sure I would not create a "hard spot" under the edge of the flat panels by creating fillets under the edge of the board and then glassing down with 4 layers of 1708 set in epoxy.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

We cut the stringer down some (about 3/4 the way) and glassed in a shelve to set a ~100 gal single tank on in a '62 B25 sport convertible I have.
Been using that boat for 3 summers now with no ill affect.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

129 gallon tank in a 63 Sport convertible. Center stringer removed, deck raised 3/4", tank enlarged forward. I kept the twin fill/vent setup.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/EG ... zgPo7F3vkn
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi