Ethanol Questions

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Ethanol Questions

Post by scot »

Guys,

I've recently come to the conclusion that diesel is not in the cards for my 25 project if I want to finish the boat in my life time. The family is only giving me another year to finish this boat!. SO, I just picked up a 454 Mercruiser for the boat. I know the engine and the PO is a relative so there should be few surprises. It's been sitting in the corner of a shop for 7-8 years... fresh water boat and ran fine prior to the layup. I plan on going completely through the engine (rings, mains, heads, etc) just to be comfortable with the engine, and add some ponies :-) I doubt this engine ever ran any corn juice.

Now my attention has turned to avoiding future E problems.

In reading back through a bunch of E post, it "appears" that 90% of these problems are tank degradation issues and the tank materials cycling into the fuel system and turns into goo. The boat is getting new aluminum tanks, ss tubing fuel lines on the long runs and E friendly hose on the short, termination runs. My concerns are for fuel that sits in the tanks, the carb, fuel pump, etc. Can the E issue be mitigated with additives? Do the carbs built today have E compatible gaskets, pumps, etc?

What is the best filtration set up for gassers? Can Racor type filters / water separators be used with gas engines?

Any advice will be appreciated, as now is the time to get this right.

In short, when starting from scratch, what all can I do to keep the E demons at bay?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Navatech

Re: Ethanol Questions

Post by Navatech »

scot wrote:I doubt this engine ever ran any corn juice.
Corn juice has been longer around then the last 7-8 years... I wouldn't bet on your engine not having had corn juice...
scot wrote:Can the E issue be mitigated with additives?
Additives like Sta-Bil will mitigate a lot of gas storage related issues... You're two best choices are either full or empty tank... I prefer the first...
scot wrote:Do the carbs built today have E compatible gaskets, pumps, etc?
Yes...
scot wrote:What is the best filtration set up for gassers? Can Racor type filters / water separators be used with gas engines?
Parker (i.e. Racor) has special filter/water separators for use with gas...
scot wrote:In short, when starting from scratch, what all can I do to keep the E demons at bay?
See if getting gas without corn juice (a.k.a. Rec90) is an option in your area... Having said that, as you're basically starting out with a setup that's not susceptible to most E issues you could just ignore the demons... The only demon you'll need to worry about would be the propensity of E gas to soak up water... Keeping your tank full and using additives will mitigate most of that...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Scot-
My B31 got a new aluminum tank and E friendly lines in 2007 just before I bought it.
I have a standard spin on type fuel filter with an additional filter before the Garmin flow sensor. I've had no issues with thus far and it is not uncommon for my boat to sit with a partial tank for several weeks between uses. I do use marine Stabil with each fill-up.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for the feed back guys. Sounds more encouraging that a lot of the issues can be avoided.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

Scott,

WIth a new tank, fuel lines and fuel pump I don't see any reason you should have a problem.

I would recommend quality fuel stops as too much water in gas...too much as in if your getting water in separator you have an issue.
From my understanding once alcohol sucks up too much water it comes out of phase dropping to the bottom of tank and will be in a high enough concentration (over 10%) to eat alum.
Many boats running alum tanks these days and I haven't heard of any problems.
That would be my biggest worry and additives are supposed to help with that, but again, I haven't heard of issues.

My thought, your right to install gas and get her in the water. Down the road a deal comes up...you find pocket too heavy...you can always make the swap.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Stephan wrote:I have a standard spin on type fuel filter with an additional filter before the Garmin flow sensor.
Are either of them also "water separators"?!... If not, my suggestion is to change that... Parker (Racor) have several good products:

1) SNAPP... More info... Product page...

2) 320R-RAC Series... More info... Product page...

Stephan wrote:it is not uncommon for my boat to sit with a partial tank for several weeks between uses.
That's actually a problem... What happens is that during the day, (as the sun shines) the boat (and fuel tank) heat up... The air in the tank expands and the excess air leaves the tank through the tank breather line... Then, when evening comes, things cool off... Including the air in the tank... This air contracts and creates a partial vacuum in the tank... Air (with it's contained moisture) is sucked into the tank through the breather line... When things cool further during the night the moisture in that air condenses... It's not much moisture, just a few drops in every cycle tops... But it adds up... And the corn juice will soak it up... Until there's too much of it, and the corn juice can't hold it anymore and phase separation occurs...

Obviously, the more fuel you have in the tank the less air (and moisture) is "pumped" in every cycle... Less air means less condensed water in each cycle... A full tank will practically eliminate all water from this source...
Korini

Post by Korini »

I use metal t joiner. I don't use a inline filter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Korini wrote:I use metal t joiner. I don't use a inline filter

Welcome....but FYI, you responded to a 3 yr old post.