Hawaii ethanol-free gasoline

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

Hawaii ethanol-free gasoline

Post by jrwolfe »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this on another website and thought it might be of interest. Maybe the idea should come to the mainland.

An article from West Hawaii Today.

Boaters now have access to ethanol-free gasoline

by Jason Armstrong
Stephens Media

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:16 AM HST

People whose engines have been damaged by ethanol-blended gasoline will soon be able to buy unblended fuel.

Starting today, Aloha Petroleum will sell ethanol-free gasoline to local marinas on Hawaii Island and Oahu. The marinas would then offer the fuel to customers.

"We are always listening to our customers, and it has become clear to us that Hawaii's boaters want and need an alternative to gasoline blended with ethanol," Aloha Petroleum President Bob Maynard said in a written statement announcing the company's decision.

Since April, at least 85 percent of the gasoline sold in Hawaii is required to have a minimum of 10 percent ethanol, which is a fuel made from agricultural crops like corn and sugar cane.

Unable to get straight gas on Hawaii Island, boaters, small-engine mechanics and others have complained that ethanol is ruining their engines. The additive attracts water that rusts internal parts. Ethanol also is a corrosive solvent that dissolves built-up sludge that can then clog fuel filters and cause other damage.

Veteran commercial fisherman Michael Trask said ethanol destroyed his boat's engine last June. After having spent thousands on repairs, he's still waiting to get his boat back in the water.

"It's a relief that somebody is seeing what's happening and taking some responsibility, you know, to bring some relief to us," he said of Aloha Petroleum's decision. "I think it's great."

The move stems from "numerous requests from boaters," Maynard said.

Other keys were conversations with the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, along with Rep. Dwight Takamine, D-Hilo, Hamakua, Kohala, he said.

"It became clear to us that we could better serve our customers without running afoul of state ethanol-blending requirements," Maynard added.

Quoted in the same written statement, Takamine praised the availability of unblended gasoline.

"This is a bread-and-butter issue for many of my constituents, who rely on their boats for their livelihoods," he said. "I am very pleased that Aloha Petroleum is responding to their needs."

The company, which operates nearly 80 fueling stations on Hawaii Island and Oahu, will offer "aloha classic gasoline" rated at least 89 octane.

It will not be available, however, at the company's gas stations. Aloha Petroleum cited the high cost of converting its equipment for the decision to sell only to marinas and marine suppliers with approved storage tanks.

Trask said he'd like to see it replace medium-grade fuel at the retail stations.

Despite a volume limit on the unblended fuel, Trask said he's examined the numbers and is not worried about a shortage.

"I think there's going to be enough going around," he said.

A bill pending before the state House calls for all refiners to sell unblended gas to marine-fueling stations and at each company's stations. Bill number 791 would take effect Jan. 1.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That's all any of us are asking for-a marine grade of gas-'Navgas". Walter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

What website was this on? Maybe we could forward it to the jackasses at Boatuseless, whom so far have been unable or unwilling to push for Marine use only ethanol free fuel.
Regards,

Doug L.
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

It was posted on Boaters Ed Forum. www.boatered.com/forum/
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ethanol-free gas for boaters Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Spread the word. Let's send that info out to anyone who might be able to help us. Walter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Well I just forwarded the article to Bob Adriance who is an AVP at Boat Useless in their Technical Services division.
Regards,

Doug L.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I heard back from Boat Useless. He said he was aware of it and that they are looking into it.

I feel safer already!
Regards,

Doug L.