Late model Bertram 28 gas tank faliure 1992 - 1993

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1993 Bertram 28

Late model Bertram 28 gas tank faliure 1992 - 1993

Post by 1993 Bertram 28 »

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1993 Bertram 28 Fly Bridge. I was wondering if anyone has had fuel tank problems with these late model Bertram gas tanks. I have heard conflicting stories. Some people say these late model Bertram tanks have not failed as Bertram changed the materials used in manufacturing the tanks. Others have said it is only a matter of time and they will all fail. Can any one who owns or has worked on the late model (1992 - 1993) Bertram Gas tanks let me know their experience? Thanks and I look forward to all you comments.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Adam,

Again Welcome Aboard!

All of the stories you've mentioned are true...

No ethanol related failures, (at least that I know of), on late model tanks.

YET...

All Bertram fuel tanks prior to about 2000 were made with polyester resin. The later changes in the resin was increasing the fire retardance. No Bertram tank prior to at least 2000 was made with any concideration to ethanol laced fuel. So the statement of "not if, but when" is true.

The later model tanks do seem to be showing more resistance to ethanol and you can probably get by for a while before needing to replace the tank. Keep a very close eye on your fuel filters, carbs, and spark plugs. At the first indication of anything looking like resin residue or flaking gelcoat cease running the boat and change the tank out.

Tanks are cheap in comparison to engines...