Ethanol problems expanded.

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Ethanol problems expanded.

Post by In Memory Walter K »

There has been a three part series about Ethanol on PBS's Nightly Business News with Paul Kangas. After seeing it and hearing what was said, all I could think of was "what were they thinking?".
This desired government/environmentalist change to Ethanol has already taken the price of corn from $2 a bushel to $2.25. It has also caused farmers to increase the size of their fields of corn at the expense of the size of their soy bean and other crops. Less soy beans, wheat and other grains available makes soy beans and grains more valuable, thus raising their price and the products they're used for.
The cattle and pig farmers depend on corn as feed. Higher corn prices are forcing them to raise the price of Beef and Pork.
The desire to grow more corn faster and not giving the corn fields time to recover from corn's strong nutrient drain has increased the demand and price of chemical fertilizers... which is creating the need for the farmers to increase the price of a bushel of corn, to say nothing about the havoc their runnoff is causing to the environment.
One of those interviewed predicted $5.00 a bushel of corn in the near future. Has anyone in Congress ever taken a course in simple math?
Ethanol cannot cure our oil needs in any sort of economically feasable way. While it is attempting to do so, it will force up the price of many of our nations food products and very frankly, feed inflation.
What were they thinking? A perfect example of people not doing their homework and now defending their wrong answers. Walter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Walt,

they will shove any kind of rhetoric they can muster down our throats. Most of the general public will buy the hype that if it's good for the environment it's good for the USA. The only problem here is that they are not making the downside publicly available. A relatively intelligent person, such as the group we have at the sandbox, will quickly point out the hidden negativity, as many have already done. However, the govtment plays the trump card by assuming that they can pull the wool over our eyes by constantly pimping the idea that it is good for the environment, good for the economy, and good for the American people.

We need to continue to get the word out as often as possible that this is nothing more than a sham, intended to make a select few wealthy, at the expense of the general public. Not only about the dangers and nuisances we face as boaters, but also the effects of runoff, rising costs of other produce and livestock, and continued dependance on other countries for our energy needs.
Harv
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

If we're so freakin' smart, how come we're not buying Archer Daniels Midland stock......?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Peter

Post by Peter »

Mike,

A better question is;

If ethanol the future of fuel, how come Exxon Mobil isn't buying Archer Daniels Midland?

They certainly have the profits to afford it.

File that under "Things That Make You Say, Hmmmmm...."

Peter
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They're probably buying sugar plantations.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

While everybody's looking in the wood pile for that SMELL! They gonna be sneaking up behind us, and there NOT! playing a game of TAG!

DQ
Capt'n J

Fiberglass to aluminum

Post by Capt'n J »

:shock: I pulled my fiberglass tank and it was a mess. For the future i have installed an aluminum tank with an epoxy coating. I lost some volume to make the fitting easy but in the end it will be worth it. Also, diesle motors will help with efficency so I can afford a little less in the tank.

I have some 454 pro marine with velvet drive transmissions if anyone wants some quality plug in and go fast motors. They are from a 31 and happy in storage on Kauai.

Aloha all

Capt'n J
It's what we do!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If we're so freakin' smart, how come we're not buying Archer Daniels Midland stock......?
There are much better ways to sell your soul to the devil..................