Additives

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bobkat

Additives

Post by Bobkat »

Assuming that tank replacement is inevitable, what is the best additive to put in the tank pending replacement?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're expecting the additive to alleviate our Ethanol problems (even temporarily) I haven't heard of one that does anything except take your money. We've been told NOT to use Drygas. Techron from Chevron is supposed to help clean out the gunk created by the Ethanol Fiberglass tank combination. Randall knows more about that as he discussed it with two Chevron guys we fished with us at UVI5. Hopefully he'll chime in. Walter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Bob,

I used Startron from Starbrite this year. Its not dry gas. According to their website and one of their tech guys that I spoke to back in June, it uses enzymes to break down any water and/or other crap in the tank.

I ran about 600-700 gallons of ethanol with no ill effect. Of course, my boat is an 86 33 with a tank that is gel-coated on the inside and I was very careful about getting fuel from marinas that drained and cleaned their tanks prior to getting their first load of ethanol. I hauled out for the season yesterday, but 2 weeks ago my 1300 hour 454's still turned up to 4200rpms at WOT. Over the season, they never stalled and were never hard starting.

Did the Startron help? Who knows? I certainly didn't suffer the engine problems that some people at my marina had.

My theory all along has been that if you can keep out the water then phase separation cannot occur and that its the alcohol separating out of the fuel that's causing tank degredatation.
Regards,

Doug L.