Winter Storage

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

Winter Storage

Post by Peter »

What is everyone's take on winter storage?

In a lot of states the fire reg's require that the tanks be stored nearly full to prevent fumes from building up to potentially explosive levels in the event of a yard fire.
We now that ETH fuel has a short shelf life, so what to do with all that fuel going sour all winter. Additives? Seal the vents?

I don't know if the regs apply to boats stored in private driveways or back yards, but the safety issue would still have to be addressed. If you wanted to store your tanks empty, then you would should remove the inspection plate and mop the tank out bone dry. Then ventalate it throughly to remove any source of fuel vapor buildup. More trouble than its worth?

Also I think running the carbs dry is a good idea. In that case you would have to fog the motor after the gas runs out by cranking it over with the starter.

Any other thoughts out there?

Peter
frank price

Post by frank price »

Peter,
My boat( a 33 SF btw) is home in my yard as of yesterday. I have about 150 gallons in the tank that I plan to pump or siphon out and use in my truck and car for awhile.
I am not so worried about fumes. It seems that I've always been able to smell gas from the fuel vent and never had an explosion from that, so I would think that I would have to actually have a fire or a spark inside the tank to have a problem, wouldn't you think? As far as the fire marshal, he hasn't been by my house yet so I am thinking he might stay away. I also don't recall seeing a fireman checking boats at marinas. I'm not sure but I have heard that not all fire marshals require boats to be stored with full tanks. You should check with your local area to see if they care.
I have also found that running the carbs dry is a bad idea. The fuel dries in the jets and clogs them , sometimes just enough to cause the engines to run badly , yet you can still see light through them. My experience has been that leaving the carbs wet is better.
Just my opinion, I'd love to hear Bruces or Patrick's comments on the issue,
Frank
Peter

Post by Peter »

I think the concern about possible explosion risk has to do with a situation in which the storage facility catches fire from some other source, not an explosion of the fuel tank starting the fire.
Sure you can probably count on the fire marshal not coming to your house, but one should consider the possible risks to one's self and/or to any fire fighters or other first responders if the property where you are storing your boat becomes involved in a fire.
It's not a happy thought, but it is a responsible one.

I am in MA and the fire regs definately require boats stored in yards have full, or nearly full tanks. I suppose actual compliance is up to the yard managers and no doubt some pay more attention to the regs than others.

My own boat will be in my own back yard. I'll also be replacing the tank this winter. I'll probably drain the current tank, ventilate it, and cut it out of the boat. The new tank(s) are obviously going to be dry.

Interesting thought on the wet vs. dry carb. My thinking was that if there is no gas in there, there is no way for it to dry up and become a gummy mess. I suppose it is all a matter of how dry you can get the carb, and how long your winter is. That is why I'm seeking opinions, so I can learn.

Peter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Peter,

I'm also in Mass. I've never stored my boat with the tanks full. You piqued my curiousity with your fire reg comments. I looked here, but couldn't actually find anything about storing tanks full:

http://www.mass.gov/dfs/osfm/fireprevention/cmr/

What is your source?
Regards,

Doug L.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I have to admit that my knowledge is hearsay, but from more than one reliable source.

Peter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Leave the tanks full. I run them as close to dry and fill them with fresh fuel for the winter. Everyone has their own thoughts on how to do it this is just what I do and have never had any problems.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I leave mine empty if I can. I'd rather have the Racors catch what little condensation there is than deal with a tank full of crappy fuel!! That was one of the great benefits of a fiberglass tank - no corrosion!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
frank price

Post by frank price »

I will admit that in years past I never gave it much thought and wasn't too concerned about condensation, so just left whatever was in the tank without so much as a stabilizer and never had any problems. Now with the threat of ethanol attaching itself to any outside moisture and the real possibilty that the ethanol will at some time in the future , eat my tank, I feell the best thing for me is to drain the tank. It can't be a bad thing to let the tank dry out(I hope) , even with just plain gas, you have to wonder just how many years a fiberglass tank can hold gas without it starting to blister. There are so many variables to this ethanol thing that I think the safe thing is to get it out, at least for the winter. That's the reasoning behind my decision anyway.
Frank
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Having lived though it, I would worry more about leaving a full tank of Ethanol laced fuel in my fiberglass tank for five months. Drain it, open the inspection port and siphon out the bottom water and ethanol and let it dry out and harden over the winter. Start with fresh gas and no water in the Spring. My opinion. Walter