Tank inspection.

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnD

Tank inspection.

Post by JohnD »

I've got a '72 gas B35 and face this ethanol issue. I've been considering switching to Diesel. Since I'm on the fence about it, if my tank is good I may convert sooner. If the tank is bad and needs to be replaced I'll replace it with AL and repower down the road, at which point I consider the tank to have a 5yr life span. The other tank material options are too costly and may be cheaper a few years down the road after more is done.

I've been running E10 since late July, to the tune of about 500gal so far, we ran from Baltimore to Atlantic City and back on it plus a few local trips.

So my question how best to determin if the tank is failing?

So Far I've changed fuel filters twice and noticed a good amount of sediment, i suppose is from the E10 'cleaning' the tank.

My inspection plan:

1) pull all sparkplugs and check for fowling/goo

2) pull off a carb and inspect the inside of the intake

3) If possible pull the inspeciton plate on the tank to get a visual. I'm not sure of this one because of the age of the bolts...

So I'd love to hear any other suggestions on identifying the condition of my tank and whether it needs to be replaced.

br,
JohnD
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What I was told on my B-20 was to drain and flush/clean the tank as best you can. Let sit and air-dry. Add a return line and fill with diesel, install Racors and go. Walter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Pull the inspection plate and have a look inside. Soak those bolts with a little CX and let sit several days to ease removal.
If they still don't come out you may want to seriously question the integrity of the rest of the fuel delivery system as well, but I'll bet they will come out fine.
Look for two things

1) signs of degredation of the resin due to ethanol...i.e. softening of the tank or tell-tale goo in the motors

and

2) signs of blistering or delamination that might have been caused by ethanol, or might not. It doesn't really matter what started the blistering or delamination, ethanol will exploit the weakness it and make worse.
Peter

Post by Peter »

One thing I didn't mention....use a SIX point socket wrench to give yourself a good hold on the bolts. If you don't have a six point socket in the correct size, buy or borrow one.
If the bolts are crusty and old a twelve point socket is much more likely to bugger the corners off of them.

Peter