My Bertram 25 and Ethanol don't mix!... so

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Fred Phinney

My Bertram 25 and Ethanol don't mix!... so

Post by Fred Phinney »

Twin Chrysler 318(s)...port engine stopped, starboard was about to...mechanic cleaned out carbs...suggested bypass existing fuel tanks with two (2) plastic fuel tanks of 25 gallons each above deck in stern plumbed to engines. I said do it. It ain't pretty, boats trim is not what it used to be even with tabs full down BUT engines are purring and I'm enjoying my "modified" 25 for the balance of the summer! Come fall I'll deal with the financial realities of what must really be done so that I do not continue to sully the beautiful Bertram image with a half-ass solution.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I believe that's the solution. Ethanol ain't going away unless it kills someone important's kid. That's what I'm doing on my B-20. Walter
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

I'm doing the same thing...... My B25 is supplied by (1) 28 gallon above deck tank until I figure out what to do.

Beware of the venting of the tank, I used my boat on sunday and closed the vent on the tank and when I got back from work on monday I had gasoline leaking out of the tank from over pressurization due to having the sun beat down on the tank. Since then I'm not leaving the above deck tank on the boat.....
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I'm considerint the same type of thing for my B35. A few years back I had to pull out an aux tank ~150gal that was leaking and I never replaced it. I'm considering replacing, for extra fuel and being able to take the fg tank out of the picture. The only problem is that at 30+gal an hour that's only 3hrs running time...

read the other Ethanol postings, sounds like it still isn't conclusively the tank at this point..

br,
JohnD