Looks like Ethanol Or Bust

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

Looks like Ethanol Or Bust

Post by Davidr0007 »

Most bert 31 owners I talk to with gas engines and old fiberglass tanks are sort of nonchalant about adding the ethanol laced gas to their tanks which now have regular gas in them and doing this because there is no definite consensus and they are all in the wait and see mode..Is that it guys?? Are we just turning our backs and closing our eyes MAYBE IT WILL GO AWAY HUH!!!...or maybe I can make it thru this summer.Is this because we don't think anything will become of this....Lets have your imput..Maybe if we go slower the ethanol will get use to the tanks and make a nice home there...and not create any waves..We did not ask for this problem but as I see it, it is real and the sooner you deal with it the less engine heartache it will cause...
DavidR
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Looks like Ethanol Or Bust

Post by mike ohlstein »

Davidr0007 wrote: the sooner you deal with it the less engine heartache it will cause...
DavidR
That's the way I see it......

I just bought a 20 Baron, and plan to run avation gas this season while I plan my winter tear down.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
alano

Post by alano »

I'm running the old gold out first - have been on empty for 2 days, will switch to the poly tank to get home once they sputter and proceed to cut the plywood deck out (it's got a little rot) replace the tank w/AL, the deck w/NidaCore panels and the web w/1.5" FRP sq. tube. Kiss off August and be ready for fall. Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

David,
There will always be those who will ignore the signs of potential pending problems until they are smack dab in the middle of them.

The last two years worth of hurricanes are a good example of that. Trying to put up shutters or double lining your boat in a cat 3 storm is a little late.

The plain fact is most people will put off expensive repairs hoping the boating fairy will some how come down and isolate them from the problem knowing full well that ignoring the problem will cause them more expense in the long run. People can't seem to justify spending money unless they are looking at a dead lump of cast iron and fiberglass.

Since boat US's article came out some people have taken the problem more seriously, but the majority have ignored it.

Its like taking a grenade, pulling the pin and tossing it a few feet in front of you hoping it won't go off.

Yes there is a very long shot you got a dud.
But the reality is if you don't run, you'll end up looking like a 2 year olds painting on the closest wall.