Calling Bertramp

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Woods

Calling Bertramp

Post by Harry Woods »

Hey Steve,
What happened to the B31 half-hull mold project? Did anyone find a source to produce them? It would make a good project to make the winter pass.
Harry
Bertramp

Re: Calling Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Mold is in Ft Lauderdale.
If you can make 'em ..... I will bring it north when I make next trip.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

ummm ... actually, it may be in Sag, in which case it is available over the weekend.
Who can make them ??
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Steve,
I have no skills when it comes to molding these things. Someone in the sandbox must know a source to get them done.
Harry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Early on I think we thought we had some one to help us put it together, but so far no takers. Maybe this thread will turn over a rock. In the mean time Steve is the Guardian, the mold is in the Sand box's hands and hopefully we can pull this off at some point.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Tony,
You are right on track. With all the talent on this board someone has to have a source. After all the time Steve put in to find and procure the mold, we need to move ahead to a final product. A local guy suggested a company by the name of Todd. He says they manufacture inexpensive seats/chairs using both glass and injection molded plastic. Anybody know them? I am sure we could get commitments for in excess of fifty pieces if we can find a source.
Harry
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I can make them no problem. I won't happen over night. I can do a few a month. I'll have to prep the mold first and figure out the cost of materials. Here is my last mold popped it out yesterday and fitted it today

4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Joe e,
Your work looks great. However, at a few a month it would take a couple of years to get everyone their piece. We had hoped to find someone who had the capability to turn them out faster.
Harry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Wow nice work. That looks super.

I would suggest, your call, we figure out who would be interested, them you could determine if you could handle the project. While some of us are getting old, I bet most would not be in a big rush. After all the mold has been floating around for years and no one has yelled got to have one now.

I would guess we would also need to figure out the estimated cost before we really know who is interested. Figuring out the cost is the toughest part.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I would use the first "product" as a "plug" for a new mold… And then use that new mold as the "production" mold… Cheap "insurance" the way I see it…
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Guys,
Another potential source for the half-mold production. I spoke to Tad Jones who is the owner of the Anchorage and Dyer Boats in Warren, RI. In addition to his boat production, he has produced half models for his most popular boats for many years. He has asked for a picture of the mold with a tape measure under it to show the size. His in-house capability and start of his slow season may make him a good candidate. The Rhode Island guys probably know him and his operation. Does anyone have any idea how many we need? I estimated north of fifty but less than one-hundred. Quantity will be a factor in the price.
Harry
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Im familiar with The Anchorage and Dyer boats....I gotta believe
that they could do a good job. However, I would opt for one of our
guys, even if production is only a few per month. As much as
I would like one, its not a cant live without. The decision is
in the hands of the group.
The mold is on LI.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Navatech wrote:I would use the first "product" as a "plug" for a new mold… And then use that new mold as the "production" mold… Cheap "insurance" the way I see it…
Not a bad idea....
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lets bump this post to the top after the holidays and lets see what kind of response we get. Then we can figure out which way to go.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I have no problem doing the job. I would think my production would be more than a few a month but I don't want to over extend myself or get anybody's hopes up. Finishing my boat is still my first priority. I would estimate my cost would be pennies, compared to someone making a living glassing or producing boat for a living . I would add, that when someone's heart isn't in a job like this, it tends to get pushed to the back burner. This is a true labor of love for me.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yes, heart is important but one can't pay for groceries and bills with love… And a chore is still a chore… Therefore I for one would rather have the person doing these half hulls making a reasonable number of greenbacks for their effort…

If that means that I have to pay a few more dollars for mine then so be it…
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Joe E,

Thank you for stepping up and volunteering. I also think it would be more of a special piece if made by one of our own!

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Take your time, think about what it might involve and come up with a price, and figure in for your time. Fair is fair. If you need measuremnt of the mold, I am sure Steve would do that so you could come up with a rough idea.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Joe, I've got one and the measurements are as follows: 22.5" long, 4" wide and 4" deep.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I would and could never charge for my time! This is really something I love doing and the help the sandbox out is even better. I have learned more on this site than any other resource out there. I would est. the cost will be less than $25 per part plus shipping untrimmed in white or gray. Joe
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

At that price you would have multiple orders. But beint a novice at this, if it was untrimmed how would one clean it up and then mount it on a nice plaque. I assume the originals were glued to the Plaque. Does anyone know how they were attached.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Tony, I will trim them down enough so that you will only have to hand sand the edge. I would assume most of use will paint the part to match our individual boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Sounds great. We all should re-group after the holidays and hopefully finalize this.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If we go with our own doing the job for "basically" cost could we specify that he do one for each order then fulfill the multiples so that we each get one before we die?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I believe if Joe is going to make them at his cost a donation to site on his behalf would be reasonable as well.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Ok guys I think I can produce 1 or 2 a week and still produce a good product. The sooner I get the plug the sooner I can start prepping the mold. Joe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Tony Meola wrote:Joe

At that price you would have multiple orders. But beint a novice at this, if it was untrimmed how would one clean it up and then mount it on a nice plaque. I assume the originals were glued to the Plaque. Does anyone know how they were attached.
Tony: My ratty original appears to be glued. No screws in the back. The backing is plywood with black formica on it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Joe E wrote:The sooner I get the plug the sooner I can start prepping the mold. Joe
Actually, it's a mold (i.e. not a plug)… Having said that, I think you should use the mold to make a plug and to make another mold off that plug… That way we can't loose the original mold… Cheap insurance…