which generator??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

which generator??

Post by Todd Pearce »

HI to all,I`am purchasing a new gen set this week and wanted some feed back from the faithful, Thanks in advance for reading this and your thoughts
Navatech

Re: which generator??

Post by Navatech »

I'm considering getting a new (or used) generator myself. How did you decide what capacity to get?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Todd,
What size?
I can't say enough good things about the Northern Lights 5kW in our boat.
3cylinder 1800 rpm. She's got roughly 1600 hours on her now and has been nearly perfect. The only issue we've had is with the factory installed steel exhaust riser, it had to be replaced at 1300 hours (last year) . They sell a stainless version as a replacement which should live much longer.
At 42ft you might need closer to a 7 depending on how you've loaded the boat.

I can count at least a half dozen boats around here with these and all are quite happy.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Northernlights, quiet, smooth, very well built. My buddy has a nor pro and it sounds like its going to fall apart, hasn't run right for the last two seasons, this year we brought a portable Honda just to have some power at night. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

its to replace an onan 8 kw
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'm replacing one in a 38' and going with a Westerbeke 8kw BTD, a very compact model thats been around a long time.
With the Lauderdale boat show going on last week I got him a price of $1100.00/kw which is a good price.

It will handle a 16k btu 110 vac, a 12k btu 110vac air conditioners, ice maker, fridge, batt. charger, full galley, lights, hot water heater.

If your not sure of the capacity, list your appliances and the operating AC voltage.
Minimum on a 42 would be 8kw usually.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Ta Bruce,nice to chat the other day,making progress now, I have removed the air con,so only have the galley,oven/waste/lights/fridge,and TV,DVD,Stereo,thats about it,not hot enough for long enough down here to really need ac
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I understand that Todd about the AC, but unless your going to be buried in it, it can seriously effect the future sale value. Think about that.

One of these days I'm going to make it your way. My brother has been there a dozen or so times visiting and chasing Red Stags and Mountain Goats and loves the place.
Beside Lamb is my favorite red meat. Little tiny delicate ones, tender and juicy.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Lamb,my mouth is watering already, we are just through spring and the young lamb we are buying is just awesome,have you ever slow roasted a shoulder?if not you must, heres how
1 shoulder lamb,brown on all sides in pot large enough to hold it with a tight fitting lid,add onion,garlic carrots,herbs(rosemary,time etc) and brown the veg, then add a whole bottle dry white wine,place lid on,roast at 130-140 c for 5hrs,meat will fall apart,strain roasting juice skim of fat ,add parsley, garlic and butter to create sauce, Serve with spring veg,garlic bread, lots of wine and friends, that's done it,I`m of to buy some for tonight