Transducer question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Transducer question

Post by MarkS »

I have been using two transom mount transducers on Razorsharp since I bought her and i am sick of cleaning, adjusting, and generally being dissatisfied with the function of these units. I am going to either do shoot through or through hull and am looking for some input as to whats best and install tips. Best spot, how to prepare the glass below, proper installation etc...

Thoughts?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tommy

Re: Transducer question

Post by Tommy »

Mark, I had Garmin sounder with an Airmar P-79 "shoot through hull" transducer that would mount on a hull with up to 22 degrees of deadrise. It worked flawlessly. Although the B-31 has almost 24 degrees of deadrise at the stern, it is not as steep forward, so the Airmar worked great. It was adhered to the bilge under the cabin deck (with epoxy or 4200) about 5" from centerline and filled with something like linseed oil. Most of the electronics companies use Airmar transducers, so do a search and it should pop up. I highly recommend it.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I had the standard airman B744 thru hull on a high speed fairing block and it worked ok. I'd loose bottom at 300' at cruising speed and I would get all kinds of funky returns on the screen. I decided to make the hull transducer cavity in Capt Pat building tips section. OMG, what a difference at cruise speed I'm reading well into 1000'+ at trolling speed 2000' and no more funky returns.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
John F.

Post by John F. »

My previous B31 had a bronze through hull mounted under the starboard motor just outside that motor mount/stringer. It read great and I never lost bottom, though I boat in relatively shallow water. My current B31has an Airmar 260 shoot thru the hull mounted in the bilge forward just aft of the bulkhead between the v-berth and salon. It also works great. My B20 has a smaller hockey puck type shoot thru, mounted in the bilge near the transom--works great. The B20 is only one I picked the location for rather than a previous owner. I couldn't get the transom mount that had been on the B20 to read well. Electronics guy thought it was hard to do because of the strakes on the narrow B20 hull. Had a friend run my B20 while I laid by the bilge and slid the shoot thru around until I found the best spot, and its works great.

If you do a shoot thru, I found that mineral oil and 4200 or 5200 don't mix. It'll take a few seasons, but mineral oil degrades 4200/5200 and it'll leak out. 4200/5200 use anti-freeze, epoxy and you can use mineral oil
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I put the Airmar 164 in mine. If you can get over the 4 inch hole you have to make, you will find that it works really well.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315