Newcomer B28.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Newcomer B28.

Post by Yannis »

Dear all,
I just arrived to this forum, after having read most of what has been discussed so far... Very interesting accumulated wisdom !
I'm the new owner of a 1973 B 28, with twin 2007 Yanmar 4LHA STP's. In the docs I collected from the previous owner, I discovered that my boat was once (before 2005) white (now it's awlgriped "sky blue" color) and was once called "Euphoria". Has anyone heard of this boat and/or her previous owner? I have a bunch of questions as I've already gutted the interior and found ... miracles, but they'll be the subject of future comm. Thank you.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Re: Newcomer B28.

Post by Tommy »

Welcome to the sandbox, Yannis; I had Yanmars in my old boat and loved them. I hope your former owner chimes in.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis welcome.

Letting us know were the boat came from might help in determining if anyone knows her or her previous owner.

Ask away, you came to the right place to get answers about any thing you want to do to her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I suspect "Euphoria' was brokered by DYB Charter and Yacht sales, at Edgewater FL, and left on a cargo ship from Savannah (is this a port?) to Europe, in April 2005.
Oh, and it appears she belonged to a certain Dr. Christopher, with a tel. area code 850. That's all I know about the history of my boat. I think I might also be able to decipher her serial number from the hull, albeit under zillions of layers of paint and other debris...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:left on a cargo ship from Savannah (is this a port?)
Absolutely!... Savannah GA is a port... And I nice one too IMHO... I loved the ride up the river when my ship was calling on this port... Lovely riverfront area in the downtown area too...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yannis, Welcome to our little sandbox and to the stewardship of one of the best-built boats in the world.
Area code 850 is the Florida pan handle (North West), can't find a Dr. Christopher. If you have more info I'll give it a shot.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you all.
Mikey, it's OK, Christopher is the gentleman's first name, not his last name, therefore it will be impossible to find any info, unless either he himself chimes in, or somebody knows the story already.
Now about the "...one of the best-built boats in the world" you mentioned.
Before I bought my B28 I had also considered various B31's, as well as other boats too. I was excited by this model (B31), given its extraordinary notoriety and outstanding sea keeping abilities-no doubt about that; When I went to see the boat I just couldn't get in terms with the fact that I would have to almost crawl when inside the cabin. I'm 1.90m and I simply can't fit standing in there. Another thing was that, in rough weather, (which is very common in the Aegean sea in the summer) I would have to always be wet and all passengers who wouldn't fit on the bridge wouldn't really have a "dry" alternative as sitting on the motors is equally wet and inside, while in motion, is out of the question.
My little 28 is very dry, I don't need to carry the transparent "kiosk" to be protected from the elements ( I have all the enclosure but doubt if I will ever use it),and its interiors are fine for me and the kids/friends to live around.One thing which might also be very important is that I didn't have to compare at all how each boat behaves during fishing, as I don't fish, and even if I did, fishing is totally different here-nothing to do with poles, outriggers and the like. For me its a sporty alternative to a summer house which takes you to secluded beaches where you can spend the night, or a whole month, living aboard, bbq-ing on the beach, cooking, snorkeling, collecting oysters and sea urchins, sunbathing, away from civilization and even mobile phones. And as far as its looks go, I like the 31, but I prefer the 28 style, don't ask me why. After all, if one single boat were "the best", there wouldn't be such a variety to pick from.
I understand how B31 owners feel about their boats, and I find their enthusiasm not only justified by the excellent qualities of 31's, but also worth praising as you appear to be the happiest, most devoted to your cause motor sailors around; you created this site to which us 28ers are probably just honored guests and you prove it by your insatiable desire to improve your boats and show it. I'm glad to be participating, even as an outsider, in your mythical world.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yannis,
"One of" the best boats in the world. No doubt the 31 is 'the best," just ask the owner of one. Same is true for the owner of a 28. True that most of the participants on this site are 31 owners but we are just as devoted to the 28 (hyena boat) and for that matter the 35, 46, etc. etc. We even have players in our sandbox who own different marques, God only knows why. A recent thread talks about another site in which the virtues of another boat and its differences are debated. Their thread turned mean spirited and we (the members of Pat's sandbox) couldn't understand the animosities. We're all different and in the immortal words of Maurice Chevalier in the movie Gigi, "vive la difference." True, we are Finatical about our stewardship but we enjoy and understand the fanaticism of the rest, even if misplaced.
Actually my first choice was a 28, but having been able to test the seakeeping ability of both on the Chesapeake Bay, where we live, the choice was clear. The average chop here is short and steep and the three foot difference in length made all the difference. Also, being a shorter person the headroom is wasted on me.
We don't fish Dreamsicle much but do all of those things you mentioned. What American writer was it that said, "when are fishermen going to learn that it's not about the fish?" I grew up on and around the water, thank God, doing all of those things that water crazies do and I can't understand the fascination with mountains. Guess it's like the difference between 31's and 28's.
Is this a great sandbox or what? Thanks Pat and U.V. for making this all possible.

P.S. You know why 31's are so wet? Because they will take much more than their owners and we tend not to slow down like most sane folks, if we did we wouldn't be wet. We also wouldn't be Bertram owners. Hope one day I get to see your 28 in its native surrounds, what a beautiful country.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

There is a lot of extra room that can be freed up on the 28. At one point I was going to rip out the interior, reduce the footprint of the head and reclaim the wasted space behind the cabinets. But after a bunch of years of using the boat I found that I'm never in the cabin. I also started to have more fun using the boat than fixing it up.

This is my 19th year with my 28 and I have no regrets. Great little boat, original shiny gelcoat and for the most part all original components , took 40 years abuse. Funny thing about the Bertram though, I've spent more time on the website than on the boat.
Good luck with your stewardship.
Ed
1973 28'fbc "Hilo"
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Mikey, anytime !
Thank you Ed !
There is one thing one can tell: Us 28ers are not obsessed with anything, we are amused by our boats and love you all.
As soon as i took possession of my boat, I tried to abuse her; I flew over a 2m wave with just the bottom part of my propellers in the water. I landed abruptly between two waves with a booom. No hassle. Afterwards I saw one of the two kitchen drawers to have been opened from the shock !This boat is dry, even just before total loss !!
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Yannis,

Welcome! I too have a B28 with Yanmars and love it.

Hope you find the original owner!

Cheers!

John
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you John, I hope you're just as thrilled as I am with my boat. By the way, I figure that my consumption with the 240 Yanmars is 2.7 liters per n.m. at 3000rpm and 26-27 knots, or, 2.4 liters per n.m. at 2700rpm and 22-23 knots. How close is this to your consumption pattern? ( 1 Lt = 0,2642 US gal / 1 US gal = 3,785 Lt )