Small screw/bolt hole repair above deck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Small screw/bolt hole repair above deck

Post by John F. »

I've stripped a lot of stuff I won't be using off of the outside of Crows Nest's flybridge, like old antenna mounts, the horns, etc. There are a lot of small screw/bolt holes--maybe 1/4" diameter. Can I sand countersink, and fill with West/colodial mix, or do I also have to put cloth over them so they don't show through when she gets painted?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Small screw/bolt hole repair above deck

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

For holes 1/4" or less, countersink slightly, bringing the outer diameter of the bore hole to around twice the diameter of the hole. Wipe with denatured alcohol and prime the raw glass with un-thickened epoxy. Wipe away any excess resin and allow to tack up.

Using kneadable epoxy putty, mix and roll into small balls a bit bigger than the hole to be filled. Press the epoxy ball into the countersunk hole making sure to overlap the countersink diameter and 1/8" or so proud of the surrounding surface.

Allow the patch to harden for at least a week before sanding flush. The epoxy putty has far less shrinkage, no liquid measuring, cure to the touch in under 30 minutes, and sand easily. Shop around, you'll find a putty stick that is white, off white, or light gray if color is an issue.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

My plans have changed, not going to tackle the dinette this winter but I will be replacing my canvas on the bridge, removing original rail and windshield (see my newer thread).

I'm not looking to redo the entire bridge but will have a bunch of holes I have to fill including the outrigger bases. I'm just looking fill them in until my budget can afford another trip to Raybo.

John, hoping you located some of that kneadable epoxy putty and can tell me what the working tempature range is and if it is something I can do over the winter outside?

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939