In memory of Walter Kaprielian

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

Re: Walter Kaprielian's Teak Cleaning Recipe

Post by Bob H. »

A timely post indeed, my teak coaming is ready for the magic touch. Will do the recipe justice..seeing Bluebeard at the rendezvous' was like looking at a perfect timepiece..Walter kept her up, and you knew she gave her all for him. Will miss them both, A true gentleman.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
John F.

Post by John F. »

This is truly a special place. Not just that UV and Walter were such great guys, but that everyone still remembers them as so. You guys are great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

My only difference with the method Walter described is the scrubbing with the grain,I've always been advised to gently brush against the grain with a soft brush or the green scotch brite pads, brushing with the grain supposedly removes the soft pulp between the harder fibers and soon u need to sand the teak as it gets rough. Other than the natural beauty of properly maintained teak, it's non slip quality is the reason it has been used for decades on cruise ships, aircraft carriers, sport fishing boats. We never oil teak any more because it tends to increase the slippery ness when wet, it wears away and leaves a worn appearance in the traffic areas. When u re coat with the various teak oils on the market, the worn area looks good, the un traffic areas darken up and are quite obvious,I've learned this the hard way. The sudsy ammonia /dawn is the method of choice amongst the professional captin the southeast,lots of articles over the years. Other than the supposed harmful effect to paint /gel coat, my biggest complaint is the permanent damage the 2part teak cleaners do to anodized aluminum tower leg pads,even a heavy coat of wax and immediate rinsing does not remove this caustic chemical, we clean the teak on both my boats weekly to removed the mildew that leaves the grey appearance which I don't care for, some expect or like this appeance, individual choice
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Question: Can I use this same recipe for cleaning Mahogany seats for our old 13' Boston Whaler?
I just sanded years of varnish off two seat planks. There are some black lines still in the wood grain. Will using this same recipe be the proper thing prior to varnishing the seats?
Thanks.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Steve, might work but I doubt it, go to Glue products in west palm on Georgia and get some wood bleach kit, that's how we have used for decades to bleach out transom store get rid of dark spots, discoloration hen u remove old names etc,wear glues and a mask,stings when u splash it on your skin, may take several applications
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Marlin!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Interesting to pull-up old threads !

One more question though. Those of you who installed fake teak outside, on deck or f/b, doesn't it get REAL hot to walk-on barefoot? I mean in the hot sunny summer days.
And doesn't this render the interior hotter too?
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Man, I sure miss those two!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: In memory of Walter Kaprielian

Post by Bruce »

Walter Kaprielian

Ad Man, Boat Captain
By Star Staff | September 19, 2013 - 11:24am
Walter Kaprielian
Walter Kaprielian, a retired New York City advertising executive, died on Sept. 5 at home on Wigwam View Lane in East Hampton. He was 79 years old and had kidney cancer, his wife, Dinaz Boga Kaprielian, said.

Mr. Kaprielian was a talented graphic designer, creative director, and a nurturing teacher with an eye for recognizing and bringing out the best in his students, Ms. Kaprielian said.

Starting his career as an art director at BBDO, he went on to hold senior positions at Grey Advertising and Ketchum, McLeod, and Grove, later Ketchum International, where he served as chief executive officer of its New York office.

He went on to join Fearon O’Leary, a New York advertising firm, as a full partner and in later years was chairman and creative director of Kaprielian O’Leary Advertising.

During his career he created campaigns for a variety of accounts, including Air France, Olivetti, Westinghouse, Japan Airlines, New York Air, New York Waterways, Air Jamaica, Cayman Airways, and the Cayman Islands. He won numerous awards for his work. He was also a consulting member of the marketing team at Geraldine Newman Communications, Newthynk, in New York.

Mr. Kaprielian was the son of Armenian immigrants who escaped the 1915 massacres separately, his mother, the former Shoushan Der Barghamian, spending 10 years in an orphanage in Corinth, Greece.

His father, Vartan Kaprielian, was rescued by an older relative and brought to the United States. His parents married in Cuba and settled in the Bronx.

They had two children, Walter, born on June 2, 1934, and Sara. Their parents instilled in them a sense of belonging to a special group, and Armenia was never forgotten in the household, Ms. Kaprielian said. His father died at an early age, leaving Walter, then 13, with a sense of responsibility to support his family.

Recognizing his interest in graphic arts, he worked his way through school, earning a degree at New York City College of Technology in Brooklyn, where he later taught advertising and graphic arts classes.

In addition to serving on the foundation board of City Tech, he was a past president and a longtime member of the Art Directors Club of New York. In retirement, he joined his wife in volunteering for East Hampton Meals on Wheels and the Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital.

Fishing was Mr. Kaprielian’s lifelong passion. He had kept boats in Montauk over the past five decades. “The best fishing grounds in the world,” as he liked to say. His pride and joy was his 31-foot Bertram, the Bluebeard, which he kept docked in Montauk.

Ms. Kaprielian said that to fish and live here was the realization of a childhood dream. “Why would you want to go anywhere else?” he would say.

He was also a licensed charter boat captain and was the author and illustrator of “The Captain’s Cookbook,” a compilation of seafood recipes from charter boat captains all across America. Initially published by Holt, Reinhardt & Winston, he acquired the rights and the book is now in its fourth printing.

Mr. Kaprielian married the former Julia Hachigian in 1957. She died of cancer in 1983.

In addition to his second wife of 25 years, he is survived by three children, Dr. Victoria Kaprielian Luis of Durham, N.C., Siran Pirani of Rockville Centre, and John Kaprielian of Mahopac, N.Y., and four grandsons. His sister died before him.

A funeral service was held at the Armenian Church of the Holy Martyrs in Bayside, Queens, on Sept. 10. He was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Queens.

Donations in his memory have been suggested to the Southampton Hospital Foundation, 240 Meeting House Lane, Southampton 11968.