In memory of Walter Kaprielian

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Re: SAD NEWS WALTER KAPRIELIANS PASSING

Post by Dug »

Not to hijack the thread, but Navatech's idea could well be done with UV's recipe's. Liz tells me they are gooooooood. and she made a few for us back in the day.

Dug
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Dug wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but Navatech's idea could well be done with UV's recipe's. Liz tells me they are gooooooood. and she made a few for us back in the day.
I doubt VERY much we could improve on the original cooking book. Having said that, a memorial book from the members is still an option. People could mail in their stories and pictures and we could (should) print one copy for the family. Seeing as never had the pleasure of meeting Walter on the forum or IRL I have nothing to contribute except for getting everything together.
Tom

Post by Tom »

damn. just damn. learned a lot from him over the years.
Viva la Presidente!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug was referring to Uncle Vic, aka-UV.

He too recently left our Sandbox, but not before passing on a host of exceptional recipes and tips straight from Louisiana .
Many starting with "First you need to make a roux..."
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Dug was referring to Uncle Vic, aka-UV.
In that case, let's do it... All I need are pictures, stories and, of course, recipes...
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I just feel heartbroken. I will miss you Walter. Thank you for the countless times you took the time to share your experience and advice. You have been an integral part of this community. Rest in peace my friend...
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I had a dream last night, Walter in his fighting chair telling stories, Dinaz in the cabin watching him with big smiles and all of us intently listening to him. I woke up with big tears in my eyes trying to remember who was there and what he was saying.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Sorry to hear the bad news. RIP Walter.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I was unable to post any comments due to travelling for work. Walter was the kind of guy we all wish was our Grandfather or Father and we hope we turn out to be that quality of a person.

First class gentleman and a brilliant thinker. We are running out of both!

His autographed cookbooks are treasures to me -- I bought 6, 4 were gifts and 2 were for me (one for the beach house and one for my home). Each had a unique inscription from Walter in, as Randall already noted, the most perfect handwriting I've ever seen. He wrote two different inscriptions to me, each well thought and much appreciated.

Rest in peace, tight lines and fair seas!

Tom
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Walter, you run with the tide, you will be missed , RIP my friend.

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Sorry to hear, my condolences
randall

In memory of Walter Kaprielian

Post by randall »

http://www.easthamptonstar.com/Obituari ... Kaprielian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harry Babb

Re: walter's obit

Post by Harry Babb »

Wow.....very Accomplished Gentleman.

I am proud to have known Walter even though it was for a very short while.

He surely left his "Mark" on this world.

hb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Thanks for sharing that Randall.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
opunui

Post by opunui »

Aloha Walter, another friend that i had the pleasure of talking with but never meeting. Thanks for the cookbook. Fair winds and following seas. R.I.P
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Small waves Walter. I've been on his boat and he's been on mine.
I will miss him.
The trouble with this site is you guys are getting old, like Bruce says, a little too fast.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Very nice. Thanks for posting.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

A true "East Hampton Star" God bless you Walter, thanks for the article
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

What an accomplished individual!

It is sad that you have to wait for someone to die to learn what they accomplished when they were alive!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
randall

Post by randall »

walters boat "bluebeard" was on the cover of the
"east hampton star" the day my son jesse was born. its a small town. walter was extremely good at what he did.
actually he was extremely good at everything he did. one of my favorite memories was running bluebeard in the fog to montauk with no GPS and having the harbor mouth materialize out of the fog when we were almost in it. guy could run a boat!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

An example for all of us..thanks for posting that Randall...glad to have crossed paths with such a man..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harv

Post by Harv »

My condolences to Dinaz and the rest of the Kaprielian family. I've been away from the sandbox for a while taking care of personal issues. It is sad to hear of Walter's passing. Walter was the salt of the earth. Kind, caring, and entertaining! I enjoyed the times and conversations we've had over the years. A true friend in every sense of the word. You will be missed my friend. Smooth seas, and fair skies.
Harv
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good to see you again Harv!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Very sad to lose such a great guy we have a couple of his cookbooks if there is anyone wants one to hold a memory of him I would be glad to send it. See you on the other side Walter
Mitch
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mitch, I would love to buy one of your copies as long as it doesn't leave you without one. Shoot me a PM or let me know how to get in touch with you directly to complete the transaction. I've made some great friends on this Board. Tommy
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

In the process of passing on Walters cookbook. We realized we have a third book of his and now would like to offer it up as a memory of this great guy. Anyone interested please let me know.
Mitch
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Mitch, I received the copy of "The Captain's Cookbook" by Walter Kaprielian that you sent to me, and I have already turned through all the pages. He provides not only great recipes, but also a photo history of captains that he has met from New England, the Bahamas, the Keys and into the Gulf. Thanks, Walter, for the great time capsule that you preserved for so many. And thanks, Mitch, for sharing Walter's passion with me; a check is going in the mail to Capt. Patrick today for all he does to keep this Board alive and well.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

The book really is phenomenal and a nice remembrance of a great guy and era.
It's great seeing pictures from 35 yrs ago of guys that I know now.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

This is sad news, we loved Walter and had a lot of fun at the rendezvous
Capt Tom
Capt Tom
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Sad news to hear Walter's passing. Condolences to Walter's family.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Sad sad news. I have been away from the site for way too long.
Condolences to Walter's family.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Wow, been a while for me since I've been here on the site. Then I see this sad news about Walter, my sincere condolences go out to Walter's family. Feel so lucky to have purchased one of Walter's cook books years ago with some great recipes in it, Walter always told it like it was and spoke his mind. True B31 lover, God speed Walter.

Doug
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JohnV8r

Walter Kaprielian's Teak Cleaning Recipe

Post by JohnV8r »

I had a rare weekend day alone yesterday and decided to see if there were any ideas in my Shambala file from years past that I had forgotten about that I might want to incorporate in the repower/restoration I'm planning. My Shambala file is the biggest file in my file cabinet at about 4" thick and full of receipts, posts with great advice that I printed to save, and a lot of what now would constitute general memorabilia.

While doing so, I plied through about a dozen or so posts from Capt. Patrick, Uncle Vic, and Walter Kaprielian that are mostly dated from the first 12 months I owned Shambala. Every now and then I am reminded of what an incredible community we have here. Yesterday was one of those days.

One of my favorite printed posts is a reply from Walter Kaprielian titled "Re: Teak Treatments" dated February 17, 2004. It had Walter's teak treatment recipe, which ten years ago everyone told me I should be using. Being the generous person that Walter was, he had actually taken the time to send me real photos of the deck on Bluebeard in various stages of treatment. I tried to search the archived forum for the post so I could put the recipe up and attach the photos for everyone to see. I can't seem to get the search function to work on the archived forum, but here are the photos of Bluebeard's deck after Walter had applied his recipe:

Tony Meola

Re: Walter Kaprielian's Teak Cleaning Recipe

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Not sure if it was Walter;s or Capt. Pats but this is what I found.

Russ,

I gave UV that teak cleaning formula... The white pads used for stove tops are the same as what you want for the teak.

The cleaning formula and use is as follows:

3 gallons of water, 2 quarts of sudsy household ammonia, 1/4 cup of Whisk or other concentrated liquid laundry soap. Add the ammonia and soap to the water and stir it in to minimize foaming.

Do you teak cleaning either in shade, under heavy overcast clouds, or very early in the morning. Avoid cleaning teak in direct sunlight. Wet the teak first with plain water, followed with the cleaning solution and pad. Keep the wet with the solution, working the pad across the grain, not with it, for at least 10 minutes before rinsing. Rinse very well with plain water until no more soap suds are developed. Squeegee or chamois off excess water and allow the teak to dry.

This process will darken the teak appreciably, but it will lighten up naturally over about a week or two depending on amount of sunlight it receives. You can lighten it up faster by using 3 gallons of water and 1 pint of liquid laundry bleach, worked in the same manner as the cleaner. Follow with a good rinse to remove all traces of bleach and dry as above.

Do not use the 2 part teak cleaners that are available at most marine supply houses and ships stores. The Part 1 is an acid that literally dissolves a layer of wood. Part 2 is a strong base solution that neutralizes the acid; both eat up your deck and will attack the gelcoat or paint in surrounding areas.

For additional info see: http://bertram31.com/proj/deck/after.htm
Br,

Patrick
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This might sound a bit odd to purists, but for practical (and cost) issues I'm considering to install fake teak on the swim platform and perhaps inside the cabin. My cabin sole more specifically has been through severe hardship over the years and I thought this could restore its looks.
Does anybody have an opinion on the brand I could use? A few boats with fake teak I've been to, if it's not on the deck (and therefore very visible) it's not all that bad. I was thinking of the variety that looks like real teak, not the bleached or silverish tones.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ity#p18866

Yannis

Take a look at this post. Jerry Santiago used Flex Teak.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:This might sound a bit odd to purists, but for practical (and cost) issues I'm considering to install fake teak on the swim platform and perhaps inside the cabin.
Speaking for myself, I'd rather see boats with fake teak then neglected teak... Too bad that most that I see is the latter... I can understand the problem of constant maintenance, especially in SEF, but I don't understand people who spend the money on teak and then neglect the maintenance...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Tony, very helpful thread.

Navatech, I'm from those who would superclean their boat, even with a toothbrush in difficult spots, about once or twice a year. I like it.
But the rest of the year I would clean only what the hose and broom can clean, I wouldn't even bend my back to collect debris, if it fits through the deck holes it will fall out, otherwise it will wait until next year's supercleaning rendezvous. Funny how people are !! So, I agree,fake teak has been invented for us.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote: but I don't understand people who spend the money on teak and then neglect the maintenance...

That is easy...after the new deck allure has worn off, after the first few good blood stains and gouges...maintenance and upkeep is just work. Few people seem to go to their boats and want to work...so the maintenance gets deferred making the work to get it back in shape more...and the results of their efforts less impressive. After awhile many resort to the two part cleaners and heavy sanding then disgust sets in.

Seen it many times.

In my case...it was clean the boat or use it. I did not have a teak deck, nor did I ever want one after dealing with one on dads boat...but I had lots of Teak trim. Something had to give.

I slowly pulled the teak out of my boat piece my piece...while I think the lack of teak detracts from the boats appearance...I think it looks better with sparse maintained teak accents then the alternatives...non maintained teak or not using the boat.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Yannis,
There is a luxury vinyl tile that is sold world wide called Karndean. It is an extremely durable product that is unafraid of small amounts of standing water. Would work well on the sole but the adhesive will not stand up to the abuse on the swim platform.

http://www.karndean.com/en/site-search- ... esidential

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

The only difference with Walter's recipe was something called "Teak Nu Crystals." I'm pretty sure the "Whisk" version is Capt. Patrick's. UV had a couple of posts with a version, but I think those were Capt. Patrick's recipes.

I'm not a fan of fake teak or neglected "silver" teak. Either make the commitment to treat it right or go with fiberglass/plywood and paint/gelcoat on your decks. When I worked in the boatyards in the late 70's, we would sand and oil teak. That was it. No magical potions.

I really wish we could search the old forum. Some of the posts I had printed out were priceless. I know nothing ever stays the same, but I sure miss Walter and UV.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Mark, I'll look it up; in my search I saw some products made of cork. Not bad. Does anybody know if they are sea worthy? Thanks.

John,

Before I even applied to this forum, I wanted to somehow catch up with all of you guys, so that if and when I were to become a member, to at least have knowledge of what this forum is all about. So, I started reading through what had been written so far, from bottom to top.
It took me weeks. As I was approaching the present, I had somehow sorted out who UV and Walter were...and a few pages before the most recent threads I was very sad to see that they were no longer among you. So, even me, knows what these two gentlemen represent to you, and you're right reminiscing past experiences. After that I applied to Capt. Pat.

PS Lovely dogie pic, is he still alive? I spent 15 years working in petfoods so when I see a dog something pops up in me !
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Yannis,

The dog was either Walter's or owned by the other person in the picture. For years I thought the guy in the picture was Walter, but obviously learned later it was not.

Walter and UV were generous souls to whom I will always feel a debt of gratitude.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Wow...Mike, thanks for pulling that up. That's the recipe. I'm not sure what I did incorrectly, but I couldn't get it from the old forum using the search function.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Fond memories and a certain reverence are sure signs of a life well spent. Based on that, I'd have to say that Uncle Vic and Walter lived pretty well. As long as we continue to remember them, they're still kinda here…...
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:Fond memories and a certain reverence are sure signs of a life well spent. Based on that, I'd have to say that Uncle Vic and Walter lived pretty well. As long as we continue to remember them, they're still kinda here…...

Worth reading again...
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Well said...
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I think of both of them every time I click on the B31 shortcut.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I follow his teak cleaning to the tee! The the only person in the marina using sudsy ammonia to clean teak.a am very satified with the teak appearance but more important the memory of speaking with this great man every rendezvous ,RIP
capt.bob lico
bero13010473