Water in Bilge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Water in Bilge

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I end up with rain water or wash down water in the boat, forward bilge area. Just behind the forward pump there is the drain plug and two wooden rectangles that are cut to a point at the front with a wire attached. Are those grounding plates of some kind? Do I need to worry about the wood rotting? They seem to always be wet but not submerged.

Being that my deck doesn't attach to the hull sides behind the side panels I don't think there is a way to avoid rain water getting in?

While I'm at it. I notice outboard of my stringers stays dry but I can't see where there would be any area that allows the water to drain down to the center of the boat?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Water in Bilge

Post by CaptPatrick »

Peter,

There are limber holes at the aft end of the outboard stringers that drain water.

The wood blocks in the forward bilge are backing plates and the wires are to sintered bronze grounding plates on the exterior of the hull.

To keep the forward bilge dry you'd have to isolate the bilge at the cabin bulkhead and install a PVC pipe drain race from the anchor locker extending back to the isolated aft bilge. http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... son#p74236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Cap. I can't isolate yet as I have a mess of stuff below decks between the enginges that all need to be rerouted. I guess most with a original style cockpit are getting water below decks? It's just not making it's way into the cabin bilge when isolated.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Peter,

Water in the cockpit bilge is inevitable regardless of the deck style... My main reasoning for isolated bilges is that cockpit water stinks and I don't want it under the cabin sole.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
randall

Post by randall »

i just always shop vaced it out after a rain fall. i kept the bilge sahara dry so if there was any water in it i would know something was amiss. found a few slow leaks that way.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

is that cockpit water stinks
That's just the NJ guys peeing in the bilge and shower drain. :-)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Randall,

I use a shop vac too. It's not that easy, no shore power or inverter so I have to lug around my generator. I never do it after I wash down the boat. I have to return a few days later.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce wrote:
Bruce

At least the NJ Faithfull shower.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315