We're different

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Leigh

We're different

Post by Leigh »

Guys: I don't post that often but I have to share this. I've owned a B28 for 9 years. my dad owned a 35 for 28 years. I'm also a racing sailor. I've always sailed small dinghies, currently a Laser. I compete in the Laser Masters division (I'm 56). It's my mid-life crisis. Anyway, today was breezy here on Lake St Clair (15-20 knots) and I went out to practice. On my last upwind leg, my mast broke (not that unusual for an older mast section which I use to practice). I was downwind from my Club and at least 8 boats went by and didn't stop. I had to sail/drift with the top of the mast dragging in the water for 3/4 mile toward a group of boats anchored in a shallow sandy spot near the shoreline of Grosse Pointe. Lo and behold, the closest boat was a beautiful 31 SF that I'd noticed on the drive to the Club. I drifted up to him to ask if he'd call the Club to send someone to tow me back. Well, he'd have nothing of it. He pulled up the anchor, gave me a beer, put me under tow and took me back. Had never met him before, but we talked about our boats and will probably get together in the future. We're different. Leigh
Harry Babb

Re: We're different

Post by Harry Babb »

In the 60's a TV advertisment stated that "You meet the nicest people on an Honda"...........guess they did not know about Bertrams.........

Not at all surprised.... I have "Met the nicest people on Bertrams"...........and BTW.....I ride a HONDA....when I am not on my Bertram

hb
hb
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I bought my daughter a Laser a few years ago to sail in Abaco, she was 12 at the time and loves sailing. I really enjoy taking it out too. Very peaceful to be quietly zipping across the water.
To tie it back into your sentiment, we run into the nicest people due to our B31. Every port there is someone who "caught a lot of fish on that boat", or always an older couple now on a large trawler who reminisces about the good ole days when the two of them had a 31 back in their good ole days, and on and on and on. It's definitely a big part of enjoying a Bertram is the people you meet because of it.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Peter

Post by Peter »

I think its old school vs. bubble-boat drivers.

Either you are the sort that takes being on the water seriously, which means you appreciate quality equipment (like Bertrams), and view rendering assitence to others when they need it as part of your responsibility, or you are a clueless bubble boat driver.

Whatever it is I always meet interesting and nice people with and around Bertrams.

BTW good luck getting a replacement Laser mast these days!

Peter
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Steve: Nice picture. Both my kids grew up sailing dinghies. It's a great sport for girls. It builds confidence and if they have a competitive streak, they can go head to head with the boys and beat them. My daughter was a natural and had a successful college racing experience at the College of Charleston. Peter: You're right about the Laser parts. I have a newer top mast section that I use for racing, so i'm ok for now. Leigh
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have been lucky to only be on one boat that needed to be towed back to port...as luck would have it, that boat was a 31 Bertram.

I have taken my fair share of boats off sandbars and or towed back to port...whether they were sail or power.

It's just what we do..and it's not an option...as you said.