Oil Stop Leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

Oil Stop Leak

Post by jrwolfe »

I have a B28 with Mercruiser 260's. They have about 1700 hours on them. Run fine with no problems other than leaving a small oil slick on the water at idle. Both engines have the problem. I have read about Oil Stop Leak. Has anybody had experience with these products. I guess they are designed to help swell old seals. Haven't tried the stuff. Just curious if they work.
Ironman

Re: Oil Stop Leak

Post by Ironman »

could be wear...rings..try some thicker oil..
Wayne
John F.

Post by John F. »

It could be your engine oil coolers or gear oil coolers (if you have them). I'm not sure how worn rings get you a slick, or really bad seals. Worn rings should get you blue smoke, and if they're that bad, you may not get max. rpms. Leaking seals should get you oil in the bilge under the motors. Do a compression test if you think the motors are worn, and put white oil-absorb diapers under the motors if you think they're leaking. Maybe raw fuel from a bad carb?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Oh they're perfect, except they leak oil in the water? Are you serious? Get the damn thing out of our water! Better yet give me your Reg# and I'll have the EPA and CG help you out.

Ridiculous!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

Thank you for suggesting I quantify the problem. Its about the same as an old 2 stroke outboard. Thanks
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

There's no oil slick behind my 1980 Johnson. Is that old enough to qualify?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with your engines, you just need to add a dishwashing soap dispenser to your stern. Everybody knows that dish soap will make that oil "disappear".
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

CamB25 wrote:Everybody knows that dish soap will make that oil "disappear".

Everybody except those idiots who 'cleaned' up the Gulf after BP........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

How do you know for sure it is oil? Is raw oil or a sheen/slick like when the fuel tank vent overflows.

If you have some bad valve seals, when you first start the engine it would likely smoke blue quite a bit. I do not know if it would leave a slick in the water per say.

Have you checked the plugs? Are they black from running rich? It might be excess fuel not getting burnt in the combustion process.

If you have raw oil coming out the exhaust and have to add oil to the engines frequently the aforementioned oil coolers would be suspect.

I am not a mechanic though. Just trying to help isolate the issue.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I also run a B28 with 260's. Occasionally, I'll notice a little at idle in the slip but I am quite certain mine is fuel. I don't burn any oil per se. Do you notice that you go through any oil? Do you have to top it off during the season? Wondering if unburnt fuel....
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

I have had very little oil consumption. The description of a sheen like the overflow of gas fill is a good description. sounds like I better have a good carb mechanic take a look.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

jrwolfe wrote:I have had very little oil consumption. The description of a sheen like the overflow of gas fill is a good description. sounds like I better have a good carb mechanic take a look.
I'm not much of a gas mechanic (my forte is diesels) but a rainbow colored shine behind you could only stem from two possible engine related sources:

1) Fuel
2) Oil (either engine or gear oil)

Under certain conditions with certain steering system (which aren't applicable to your boat) power steering could be another source.

Indeed, if you have hydraulic tabs they could also be the source.

Regardless, the sooner you fix this the better for the environment!
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Probably oil or fuel coolers if you have them installed. Depending how old they are, you might just want to change them out. You can also get them pressure tested, but that requires you to remove them, and since that is pretty labor intensive depending on accessibility, you might as well replace them since you have them out anyway. Hopefully you don't have a Mercruiser 3 in 1 heat exchanger/oil cooler/transmission cooler like in my 1995 Mercruiser 7.4 EFI MPs. One of my oil coolers failed and I had to re-engineer my whole cooling system with custom made heat exchangers and off the shelf oil and transmission coolers. My personal experience with a transmission cooler failure on a Borg Warner transmission that uses Dexron Mercon automatic transmission fluid is that if the transmission cooler fails, your tranny fluid will look like Pepto Bismol. The oil and transmission coolers are just over $100 each. If you can't buy them locally, check online with "Mr. Cool" for a wide selection.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I have a set of 260's in my 28 with 1300 hours. I get a little bit of sheen, mainly after start-up. Mine is just fuel from the old - tech Rochester carbs. Never use any oil or trans fluid, so i think my coolers are fine.