Stamoid cleaner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Stamoid cleaner

Post by JohnCranston »

What would ve the best product used to remove hydraulic fluid from Stamoid?
Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Stamoid cleaner

Post by CaptPatrick »

To Clean: Stamoid should be cleaned of any dirt buildup at regular intervals (at least twice per year). We recommend applying a mild, lukewarm soap solution, such as liquid dishwashing soap, with a soft brush or sponge. Let the soap stand for a short period of time but do not allow soap to dry. The fabric must then be carefully rinsed with clear water in order to remove any remaining soap residue. Allow the vinyl to dry thoroughly, then reuse or fold and store. NOTE: The use of abrasive detergents and/or substances containing solvents or gasoline will damage the vinyl coating and/or fabric. http://www.peckenpaugh.com/FabricGlass.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About PVC and Top Coatings: An enlarged side view of common vinyl fabric would show raw PVC (polyvinyl chloride) covered by a thin layer of plastic called the “topcoat”. The topcoat is the part you can see and touch. To keep vinyl fabric soft and flexible, manufactures add agents known as plasticizers to the raw PVC. A major function of the topcoat is to hold in these plasticizers, which otherwise would quickly evaporate. If the topcoat is damaged or degraded, plasticizers begin to escape leading to embrittlement, cracking and failure. Therefore, under no circumstances, should anyone use an abrasive cleaner or any cleaner with a solvent base. If you wouldn’t use it on your cars painted surface, don’t use it on Stamoid. Solvents and/or abrasives can destroy the protective topcoat.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks, Captain.
I'll try that this weekend.
John.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I had a complete failure of a 5 year old Stamoid top. The outside surface that was exposed to the environment became chalky and then brittle and flaky. The Stamoid Rep said they have had issues with proximity to airports and I would guess any industrial pollutants. If I get another Stamoid top I would pay alot more attention to rinsing off the bimini. The side curtains and the underside of the bimini are fine and the bimini remains water tight but the topside plastic coating is flaking off and the fibers are exposed.

I would watch the affected area closely and rinse that top often.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Throw my stuff in the pool overnight.Miraculous results with little effort. Do this twice a year.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

The stuff that I have is the Stamoid Open...it's thicker, if that matters.
John.