Struts again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Struts again

Post by Kevin »

The struts are back on the boat.............and they are not right. When the tubes were installed years ago they were done so based on a bad alignment to the strut. It always ran smooth, but the relation of the shaft to the bearing was off a bit. Now with the new cutless bearings you can see the binding in the nitrile rubber. I wish I had the time to check this out before I let the 4200 set up.

I tried breaking strut off boat with force and I tried using wire to cut through the 4200. I always thought 4200 was a bit more forgiving than 5200 but it does not seem to be the case.

I need some recommendations for removal.
Will heat break down 4200 without compromising the glass?

I have feeling another 80 dollars in bolts is in my future. I should have ran it until the shaft was touching bronze.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Struts again

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Yes, heat is your buddy... You only need to get the strut to about 250 degrees to defeat the 4200 and won't hurt the glass.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

OK, Just needed to cool off literally. I found a super thin metal scraper and tapped it in with a hammer and that did the trick by breaking the seal. Good to know that heat does work for the future though.

Here is the big question Pat. I know you would not do this but, I bought some composite spacers at HD, the ones used for shimming doors and windows. With them wedged in at the proper spot my shaft is now aligned nicely in the strut. Can I 4200 them in there and then tighten the bolts after it sets and see if it gets me through the summer? I know best way is with thickened epoxy, I read your building tips. I will redo all the mounts and tubes during the cooler months. I really need to go fishing.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

That's fine as a temporary fix, maybe even as a permanent fix. Just keep your eye on it and if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Since those shims are wedge shaped your going to be limited in surface area contact and support. Filling the space with caulking lends zero support other than the limited shim contact surface.

I'd clean all caulk off, shim to desired alignment and mix some thickened epoxy slow cure and pack an empty caulk gun tube and squirt into space between hull and strut.

You can build a block aide on 3 sides with blue tape to keep the epoxy from running out. Leave the high side open to feed into.
If you mould release wax or even oil the threads of the bolts, after curing back each bolt out, clean threads caulk and install.

Half days work total.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yup, that's the right way...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ha! I beg the differ on a half days work Bruce. I always multiply my time estimate times 2 and still end up cutting myself short. I always tell myself "I can do this no problem", and then remember I am not the guy for the job.
I am going to try this as a band aid. I work outside quite a bit for work, but I think these projects are too much this time of year. I have not used my boat since June 9th due to this little issue and lack of time. Why the heck bother living here if you don't go boating?
I am still on the hunt for motor mounts, so between those and the tubes not being in the right spot I am due for a major redo. I am going to replace the humps/tubes, mounts all together in one swoop. I have a davit on my dock so I am thinking I can snatch the motors out and touch up the paint while I am at it. The gear cases look a little sad so why not. Easy job, right?
The take away from this......When you glass tubes in your boat for the dripless seals, make sure your cutlass bearings are not half worn out and improperly aligned. My boat always ran real smooth but there was too much angle in the shaft.

The ethanol got to the fuel pump on the 1957 Johnson so now that does not work right either(my back up boat). It leaks fuel at the gaskets so I am just blaming it on ethanol.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Kevin ,your story , it reminds me of my wife!!! any time I say, it will bolt right in(famous last words) ,or how bad can it be, she just rolls her eyes and reminds me of last week, I`d say last time, but it seems to be a weekly occurrence for me, this b42 of mine is a demanding lass, but she rewards me with great results for my efforts, good luck with the struts ,and best wishes for tight lines and a happy wife
Carl

Post by Carl »

Todd Pearce wrote:Kevin ,your story , it reminds me of my wife!!! any time I say, it will bolt right in(famous last words) ,or how bad can it be, she just rolls her eyes and reminds me of last week, I`d say last time, but it seems to be a weekly occurrence for me, this b42 of mine is a demanding lass, but she rewards me with great results for my efforts, good luck with the struts ,and best wishes for tight lines and a happy wife

Todd...your lucky to have it that way...my wife says I'd like to change the faucet and vanity in the bathroom...it shouldn't take long, right? They do it between commercials on the DIY shows...

Shut off Valves won't shut, valves are not repairable and connection is behind wall. Old Vanity is secured to the wall and floor like it was set with 5200 and thru bolted.Sheetrock comes off with old vanity in all the conspicuous places even though I scored the hell out of the chalk joint. New Vanity does not clear doorway, faucet connections are right in front of water pipes. Drain comes with adapters for every size pipe but the drain pipe sticking out of our wall. Two days later it's all finished and she wonders if that light fixture should be changed...shouldn't take long right?? Here I bought this one....

After years of dealing with an old house and its DIY shortcut repairs of prior owners...one big benefit to being stuck temporarily in an apartment... when something breaks or needs an upgrade...just tell her to call the super.

Kevin...I never understood why each time I had to do an emergency repair on my boat it was always the hottest days of the summer.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

You going to the rendezvous? I will look forward to your wife getting the Bob "the ladies man" Lico solid surface counter top and curtains tour.

My wife couldn't care if there were gerbils on a treadmill under the engine cover but that darn additional cut out to the vberth is hanging over my head.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Kevin: I have had pretty good luck using the formica sample chips you get at the counter section of HD or Lowes as shims on other projects. I have never tried them on struts or underwater applications. They can be stacked up with a hole drilled in them to go around the bolt. They have more surface area than the wedge and pretty good compressive strength.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter,
Not in the cards for me this year...moms in the hospital CCU. So vacation will be maintenance work at the shop, so I can be close by and busy.
Maybe next year we will get the "Lico, 31 Ladies Man Tour".
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kevin wrote: I know you would not do this but, I bought some composite spacers at HD,
Local yard mechanic uses SS washers.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

sorry to derail. Good luck Carl... I was planning on hitting you up to barter a day at Fire Island for a trip to lady liberty, maybe next year...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Boats not in water as marina hasn't been rebuilt yet, not even sure if they actually started to rebuild yet.
It's been months since I stopped into boatyard...too much going on. Didn't even bother looking for a new marina this year.

Next year I hope for better times.
If boat goes in, your welcome to jump on for a trip to Lady Liberty with family, no need to barter.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl, no boat in the water and stress at home with your Mom and the house. If you can get away come out we'll take you guys to Fire island for a fun beach day.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Kevin.... Maybe I know a guy up island from you who'd be willing to come down for a day and epoxy that bitch in there for ya...

Before you know it, your gonna be like me- 3 boats in the yard and there all in various stages of project. Damnit.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Kevin

Have you tried Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine (http://www.sbmar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for your motor mounts. I suspect he can either provide or direct you to what you need.

Bill
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

So far so good on the faux repair. Seems to be holding. I was able to go fishing two days in a row! My shaft angle is still a hair excessive so I will likely get some pre mature wear on the new bearings. I can't go any lower with the engines because the shafts will hit the tubes.
Bill, I will check with Tony Athens, it may save me some trouble going that route.
Mark, I am far past just epoxying the strut at this point. This winter the PSS tubes are getting taken out and glassed in where they need to be so I don't have to use shims. I always liked the way the building tips section shows how to do the logs/tubes to reduce rotational drag on the shaft anyways. You sell that boat yet? If you can get down here Friday or Saturday lets go hunting. The sling mounted camera is very cool