For Sale 1961 Express Cruiser

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

For Sale 1961 Express Cruiser

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I have to sell my 1961 31 Express due to more knee surgery. I am scheduled to have another replacement knee put in sometime in late August (#4). I have been unable to work on her at all this summer because of the knee swelling up. It looks like I will be out of commission for 4 to 5 months at a minimum and there is nothing worse than having a boat just sitting in the hot Florida sun. She needs to have the cabin house, side and forward decks repainted, interior, hull and bottom are in very good condition. The Navy top needs to be replaced(just the material not the bows). I replaced all the sea cocks and underwater fittings over the winter, new deck supports last year. New 4D batteries and battery box 2 years ago. I am reducing the price from $45,000 to $35,000 as of today. If anyone needs pictures or more info, e-mail me or call 561-310-7179. The boat is located in Indiantown Marina 20 miles west of Stuart Florida.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JohnV8r

Re: For Sale 1961 Express Cruiser

Post by JohnV8r »

Pete,

Sorry to hear you're having knee trouble. When I asked my dad if he had any regrets after his first knee replacement, he said, "Only that I wish I had done it 5 years earlier."

I wish you the best on a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

John Vietor
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John V8r,
I was told in 1978 that I needed an artificial knee but to wait as long as I could, I waited until 1999 when they put the first one in at Northwood Hospital in Ft Lauderdale. That one was okay, no pain, no brace for 6 years until the artificial joint actually broke. The second one was done in August of 2005 at MGH in Boston, that one only lasted 4 years before it loosened up. The 3rd one went in 2010 and I was never pain free, it took them 2 years to figure out that the plastic between the 2 pieces of metal were breaking down. I've been lucky, I haven't lost a lot of bone, from all the surgeries but now I am looking at #4 in Boston at the end of August.
The company that makes the knee Depuy(Johnson & Johnson) claim that they last 10 to 15 years I'm lucky to get 4 years out of each one. I guess everyone's body has a different reaction but they don't tell you that until after it goes bad.
I wish that someone would come along and buy the boat I feel bad that it has been sitting for the past 5 years, I have been turning the engines over every two months and use a lot of CX to keep the rust from forming. I had high hopes of putting her back in the water this summer but the doctors said otherwise. I know the boat is worth a lot more than I'm asking but I just need it to go away. I had it trucked from Mass to Florida 17 years ago so over the road delivery is not a problem it's under 13'6" on a low boy trailer. Wide load permits are needed for the 11'4" beam and she weighs 14,000 with the engines, no water or gas, also it has never has any ethanol in the tank or engines.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I posted the above notice about selling my 1961 express a week ago(July 7) with no results. As I stated I have to have more knee surgery in August, I really need to sell the boat.
I need the money for paying my bills, I have been out of action for the past month because of the knee swelling and pain and the operation and rehab are going to take at least 4 months before I can get back to work.
I am reducing the price of the boat a lot lower than the listing page says. So if anyone is really looking at buying a 31 express give me a call. I am not posting the price because I don't want to hurt the other guys that are trying to sell their boats on this site. So give me a call or e-mail me for the reduced price. 561-310-7179 or e-mail fal4artbts@aol.com.
Capt Pat, I got your e-mail thank you for doing that for me.
Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete
hope all goes well for you this time around,
if I here of anyone looking ill be sure to point them in your direction
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
Thank you for the moral support. Did you ever make a decision on moving south, I know you were looking in Stuart then Wrighstville Beach. A friend just bought a condo where your friend lives (Windjammer in Stuart) for 62 K. There are still units for sale in the complex. I am thinking of moving their myself.
Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete
just closed on a house last monday in Wilmington n Carolina, just outside Carolina beach
will be shipping the boat down in aug.
again best of luck with that knee, you have been thru hell the other procedures
1968 hull # 316 - 757
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Pete, I had been looking at condos in Stuart at both Windjammer and Circle Bay. The condos are about the same but Windjammer prices seem cheaper. Did your friend buy a condo in foreclosure? Thanks
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

BuzzK,
He bought it from a family member that didn't want anything to do with the condo, just wanted to get out, they had it listed in the mid 70's and took 62K. Firt floor unit just as you come in on the left.
Pete Fallon
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
As you know I am selling the 1961 Express Cruiser, I was in contact with a broker with United Yacht Sales and it will be listed on their web site. They suggested 39K for a price so it will be on at that price.

I still have a few items I would like to sell, 6 rods,6 reels, 1 kite rod and reel, 4 kites, flying gaff, hand gaff, I also have an original destroyer style steering wheel that I will give to someone that really needs one, you pay the shipping cost.
Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete
what are the 6 rods and 6 reels
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

This, in my humble opinion, is the deal of a lifetime, and Pete has not greased my palm to say it. When I was looking for a B31 to steward I was interested only in sport fish and flybridge cruisers. The express was way down my list. Then I boarded one and looked at the advantages and disadvantages. First, the only disadvantage that I saw was the fact that at the helm you sit a few feet lower that the other two. Since I fish the Chesapeake Bay the difference ain't that much. I could still, as many have to all three, add a tower for extended sightline, especially for offshore. The biggest advantage in my mind is that I am in the cockpit when at the wheel. When fishing or cruising I'm with the crowd not "up there." What a pain (literally) to get down and up when needed. I am behind a glass windshield with wipers when necessary. The interiors are not all that dissimilar and can be modified easily as has been demonstrated over and over.
If you're looking for a 31 with diesels, damn Guys, how much more evidence do you need?
Lastly, I have never met Pete except as I have met so many of you, right here in our sandbox. When Pete speaks, I listen for two reasons. He appears to be a straight shooter and is a surveyor. I'd be willing to bet that the boat he offers is more than he says it is and is a lot of boat for the $$$.
Just saying . . .
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
spencer

Post by spencer »

Ditto what was said
I would be All over thsis boat
But already tied up with my rebuild
Best of luck with selling her

Pete was the first member I met
Came down and saw my boat when
It was shipped down from Alabama

Stand up guy
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mikey, Spencer & Charlie,
Thanks for the kind words, Spencer how is your project coming along? Is it still in Lantana near the rail road tracks? I will try and get down your way to see how it's coming along.

Mikey we are both literally in the same boat (31Bertrams Expresses) I looked real hard to find a boat that would fit my needs, being a one legged Irishman that can't climb up and down to the fly bridge. I found the express to be the perfect boat for me, and I don't care what the other guys think, but the express is the driest and has the easiest cockpit to single hand fish, dock and you don't need a crew to go out just for a quick ride. I hate to part with the boat but health reasons are dictating it. The boat still needs some repainting on the side and forward decks along with the house sides but that's about all. Mikey the boat is gas not diesel. Away just thanking you for your support.

Charlie, the rods and reels are (4) Chaos 6' stand up trolling rods(black & gold wrap) with Stuart roller first guide and roller tip with aluminum Stuart Black straight butts. Reels are (4)Shimano TLD 20's. Also have 2 Penn International 20's,one custom trolling rod with Fin Nor roller guides and aluminum straight butt.
Thanks,
Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete
ill send you a e mail
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
I sent you a PM around 9AM today
Pete
spencer

Post by spencer »

Pete
Boat is indoors at Ramsey marine in Rivera

Go by and check it out , getting ready to put motors in
I hope for the last time

Had to take a break , new house new problems, trying to get back on it
But got the 25 to fish so life is good
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Pete,
One peg-leg Irishman to an other, Where'd I get the idea that she had diesels. Ah, Well, still a steal!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mikey,
I agree with you, if I added up at the items I either replaced or redid. I could have bought one or two of the big 34 center consoles (Legend 34) that I was involved in building back in the early 2000's.
But it still wasn't a 31 Bertram that I always admired and I finally bought one back in 1978. After 35 years of owning a 31 I know just about every nut, bolt, piece of Formica, fiber glass and how it goes together and how it is suppose to perform.
I hate to see it go but I cannot physically run the boat, it's the end of an era but there is nothing worse for a boat than lack of use. Just in the past 6 years since she's been out of the water I have replaced both batteries, all the thru hull fittings inside and out, all the deck supports, a section of the cockpit sole, all the teak trim, 2 bilge pumps, both fuel pumps and refastened the entire rub rail with 1/4x 20 thru bolts and epoxied all the old holes at the deck joint and put in new breaker panels,all new 12volt and 110 volt wiring. Those are only a few of the items that I can think of at this writing. Any way you look at it for $35k it's a bargain, hell this spring I surveyed a 29 Topaz that wasn't half the boat even if it had small diesels, as I was walking by the hull I hit it with my hand, it sounded like a hitting a plastic bucket. Enough rambling I just hope it goes to a good home.
Pete Fallon