Engine Oil Analysis

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Engine Oil Analysis

Post by John F. »

I've never had this done before. I went over to the local diesel place, and picked up a couple kits to send away to Detroit Diesel (that's what they had). Any idea on how long it takes to turn these around and get results? Is there a quicker way to get this done? Thanks.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ed biggie

Re: Engine Oil Analysis

Post by Ed biggie »

QC labs in ft lauderdale or Kelley trackers both with will try a couple of days you can send them in a water bottle if that's all my have .reminder that it will take at less a couple of test to get a base line for the motor .
Ed b
Goober

Post by Goober »

John , I got oil sample kits from WW Williams in savannah ga (Detroit diesel) kits 25.00 $ each...ups about 5.0O$ to Atlanta back in about a week . Don't get excited about results . They will come back in certan ranges according to hours on engine . With bronze copper steel aluminum ,glycol coolant and probably 2or3 more that I can't spell pay attention to any nos. outside parameters , such as copper or bronze would relate to rod or main bearing wear , steel would be ring or cylinder wear and so on .Kits come with separate 4oz. Bottles and tubing for each engine .Do Not Use Same Tube For Both Samples. Thank goodness my samples were within 1 to 2 percent of each other . Key here ... Religious oil changes !!! Hope this helps ..BR Goober

Goober

Post by Goober »

John ,forgot to mention , DD test are are about the most fool proof . They check oil on just about any engine out there plus transmission oil and hydraulic oil. Test sites Up And down coast BR Goober
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

John-
I have used Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and been very pleased with them. They also sell and inexpensive sampling pump that I find to be very good. While an individual reading can be informative I've come to appreciate the trends over seasons are valuable too. Do take the time to ask the lab about how they want the samples taken and then build a repeatable pattern so the data is as comparable and valuable.
Wishing you no sodium or aluminum...
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Blackstone here too. They have free test kits they will send you and will email the results to you. Check out their website for more info.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31