The Wave of the Future

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

The Wave of the Future

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Concealed outboard propulsion

http://www.searay.com/Page.aspx/pageId/ ... lsion.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Integrated Outboard Technology

http://www.pursuitboats.com/SC365.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can now throw a cover over a couple of outboards and call it innovation, who woulda thunked it.

I guess there are some good reasons behind the move to outboards I just don't understand why they feel the need to go through such lengths to hide it.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Re: The Wave of the Future

Post by Carl »

See-Vee has been doing something similar to that for awhile. They used more of a hatch cover or shroud that was open in back. Sounds stupid...but dramatically cuts down on the noise.

Innovative...eh.

People will flock to it...more room for more crappy stuff to Ooo and Ahh about.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

And when its pee hole gets clogged with salt, you'll never know.

Hello sea-tow?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Peter

Post by Peter »

I recall a kind of dory-looking thing about 16 feet long form the early 1970's where they cut a square hole in the bottom, built up a well above the water line and hung a small outboard there. Then they put a hatch over the hole. It was supposed to be innovative back then and it was just as stupid looking then as it is now.

Here is the part I think is interesting:

Long long ago boats had sharp bows, were wide and deep amidship and tapered to less draft and less beam at the transom. Some were even double enders.

then along comes someone who realizes in a fast power boat you can carry the full beam to the transom, or nearly so. So the transom is flat and wide.

Then Ray Hunt figures out that you can go fast and be stable with a deep V with the deepest draft carried to the transom. Now the transom is flat and wide and deep.

Next we had swim platforms behind our transoms for swimmig, boarding, and landing fish. Also for storing chum buckets.

Next we had outboards on brackets. Supposed to be super fast for racing.

Then the outboard bracket added some flotation to support the motors at low speed, but the bottom of the bracket was out of the water at planing speeds.

Then we integrated the outboard bracket with the swim platform. It only made sense. But then even fairly slow boats adopted outboard brackets with integrated swim platforms. It wasn't about speed. It was about the swim platform.

Now the outboard is moved back inboard, and the integrated bracket looks like a half assed hull extension....

The back end of that Sea Ray looks like the southbound end ... oh you get it....

The whole of it looks a bit "kludge" to me. If you want inboards and a bigger boat, just get inboards and a bigger boat. If you want outboards, get an outboard.

Peter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter wrote:
The whole of it looks a bit "kludge" to me. If you want inboards and a bigger boat, just get inboards and a bigger boat. If you want outboards, get an outboard.

Peter

If you want a bigger seaworthy boat you need to spend a whole lot more cash...or go deeper in debt.

With this design you can have what gives the appearance of a bigger boat...but its all crammed into a smaller boat with a price in between. All dock potatoes look with ooo's and aaa's at the crappy amenities, "staterooms" shoved into what on land would be called a small closet at best, fancy lights and drop tables that double as a bed. if the boat goes fast it's a plus...especially as you need to run ahead of weather...as you definitely do not want to be caught in weather on ones of these things. Flat bottoms may not be good for much..but they haul arse with limited power and do not rock like a deep vee. They play to the buyers...if you want to hang on a boat at the dock, go out for some howdies in nice weather...its an okay boat for that....for a couple years anyway till the cheap fabric fades and rips, plywood seats rot, lack of ventilation inside wreaks of mold as glued in windows leak and of course holding tank odor. one by one all the amenities start to crap out as they are in bad spots for service and just cheap crap to begin with...AC go south, generators that have never been used die, pumps and switches go bad....
Goober

Post by Goober »

Can't pass on this .seasnot boats are built for someone or the person who has no idea what when where or how to operate a boat ,maintain one or could back a trailer to even launch one Have no knowledge of waterways , rules of the road and dont really give a SH------- about respect for their wake damaging other boats or docks I know first hand ,own dock on maye river in s.c. Only thing sea snot boats are fit for is making money for the guy that sells them and the guy that works on them Only my opinion, thanks BR Goober