Interesting tale of our recent gulfstream crossing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Interesting tale of our recent gulfstream crossing

Post by conchy joe »

So, we finally got done enough with our gas to diesel repower to actually try to use the boat. Our local marina sponsored a trip from Boynton Beach to Bimini this past weekend and for the past two months this trip has been our goal to get the boat done enough to take it. We had 12 hours on my first diesel engine builds and I was confident enough that I was willing to put them to the test.

For the past several weeks we have attended a series of captain meetings and kept getting teased that because we only cruise at 18knots or so that we would be bringing up the rear. All the twin engine center console boys kept saying how fast their boats run.

So last Friday comes and we missed the 7AM departure (its a long story) but we cast off at 7:45 AM alone and out the Boynton Inlet and south to Hillsborough to hopefully catch up (one boat needed to make a refuel at Hillsborough before the crossing. As we are approaching Boca Inlet we get a text message the group is leaving Hillsborough, so I continue to the Boca Inlet and then head towards Bimini.

The seas are a very sloppy 4-5, winds out of the southwest at 15-20. We are struggling to make 13 knots and as you can imagine its a long and wet ride.

Well about five hours later, we get to the Bimini Sands Marina on South Bimini and I'm looking around and don't see any of the other boats.

Turns out we beat everyone by at least 30 minutes.

Moral of the story: THANK GOD WE WERE IN A BERTRAM!

The funnier thing, was that on the return trip we all left together, but somehow we again beat everyone back to Boynton (although we were making 18-21knots) and it was only 3-4's. Not sure how that happened.

The legend of the Conchy Joe continues.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Interesting tale of our recent gulfstream crossing

Post by CaptPatrick »

Troy,

Sounds very similar to the story that Dick Bertram and Sam Griffin were telling back in 1960...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Love it
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am sure the others will forget to mention the fact that you beat them when they retell the tale!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Troy, One thing for sure a Bertram will get you there...great story..You only had 12 hours and ran across? Sounds like my summer plans, should splash early July, then off to Greenport in August, break in run I guess..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Bob H. wrote:Troy, One thing for sure a Bertram will get you there...great story..You only had 12 hours and ran across? Sounds like my summer plans, should splash early July, then off to Greenport in August, break in run I guess..BH
going to miss it bob
1968 hull # 316 - 757