Fuel Tank Hex Fitting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bottom Line

Fuel Tank Hex Fitting

Post by Bottom Line »

I need to take out the hex fitting on the fuel tank of a '78 33 FBC. From what I have seen, this was a common fitting on many Bertrams of that era. Any tips on how to get it out would be appreciated. Also, just in case, does anybody know where I might get a replacement? Hightide doesn't have any and doesn't know where to get one.
Thanks.
Mike Ford
Harry Babb

Re: Fuel Tank Hex Fitting

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Mike
If my memory serves me correctly the fitting is a piece of Hex Bar that is threaded and screwed into the Oval Tank access plate.

I believe that it has a single "Pickup Tube" that is Silver Brazed into the bottom of the "Hex" fitting......and originally had 2 ports threaded into 2 of the flats on the Hex that provided a place to feed each engine.

Why do you need a replacement????

hb
hb
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Harry: Not sure if I'll need a replacement. On Saturday I was going to replace one of the anti-siphon valves that had been sticking on and off. As soon as I put some force on the wrench the valve sheared off flush with the face of the hex fitting. I now need to get the hex fitting off to see if it can be machined. I was asking about a source for a replacement "just in case." Hightide doesn't have one or know where to get one.
Mike
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Use an easy out for pipe fittings to remove broken off threads of anti s valve.
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Bruce: I started to do that but the as valve has what appears to be a stainless tube inside the brass housing and am concerned about steel easy out and steel tube causing a spark. This is a gas tank.
Mike
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

If I have to take the entire plate off, what do the bolts thread into. Don't want make matters worse.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

They thread into a bronze backer plate the is molded into the tank.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Thanks Rawleigh.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Mike, I have one if you need it. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Thanks Joe. My first task is to see if I can get the existing one off. I guess that's what 3-day weekends are for.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Copy let me know if you need it and I can send it to you for a donation to the site, amount of your choice. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Thanks Joe.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bottom Line,
Be careful if you take off the entire fuel plate the cork gasket is no where to be had, if you damage it you will have to make your own out of a piece of cork gasket material from NAPA auto parts. There are about 24 bronze 1/4 x20 fine thread bolts that thread into the backing plate, make sure that you re-attach the ground strap when you put it back together. Mine was not molded into the tank , it was stuck to the top will Dolphinite, The valve and sending gauge might be available from Rochester Gauge Company of Dallas TX, mine was from them, it had a small magnetic sending gauge that recessed into the top of the bronze plate. If you need the fuel gauge that sits into the plate I have also seen them at Boat Owners Warehouse in Riveria Beach, Florida.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Pete: Thanks. There is a post on here with a picture that seems like what you are describing. Mine is different. There is just the plate with the hex fitting threaded into it. No valve, gauge or ground strap.
Mike
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

This is what you have and Harry babb described it perfectly. Remove plate, tilt to have fuel level rod clear,bench the whole thing.remove with 2' pipe wrench.follow Bruce's advice into stainless with easy out if you screw up get replacement from joe. Forget cork gasket you can use black sealant( permatex brand) after cleaning both surfaces.i use a race boat fuel level gauge but the rest is what you will see.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Thanks Bob.
Mike
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Mike,
Can you use something like this?
Al

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-pi ... 93822.html
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Al: Something like that is what I'll need to get the broken as valve out. I need to get the hex fitting or bronxe plate off first.
Mike
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Perhaps I should explain "bench it" normally when breaking you balls in the confine space of boat or car.you would have a much better chance at the inpossible in a real steel vice mounted on a strong work bench with a good light above.remove hex nut with large monkey wrench ( smooth jaws no teeth) ------------ piece of cake .while apart clean pick up screen I extended mine to within 1/2" of bottom of tank . Fuel reading is extremely accurate.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bottom Line

Post by Bottom Line »

Took the plate off yesterday afternoon. 20 bolts. Was surprised that they came out pretty easy. Going to take it to a machine shop tomorrow and let them work on the broken anti siphon valve that's in one of the ports of the hex fitting. Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike
Goober

Post by Goober »

After reading all of this conversation I agree with all remedies , but I don't have a fuel sending gauge on my 31 Maby someone removed it or I don't know but. All that is there is a hex flat plate No wires only a 10 wire ground would like to install a Manuel site gauge in that hole do you guys think it will work I am now running on fuel per hr burn with no problem but a gauge would be nice BR. Goober