old style

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1962 31

old style

Post by 1962 31 »

hey guys remember me havent been on in a few years project came to a hault do to my shop being busy allll the time!!1 not a bad thing but no time for my old project boat.fourtnately im able to afford to buy a better useable one lol does any one know of the boat old style in wilmington nc its a 1970 gasser
Tony Meola

Re: old style

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

Was wondering what ever happened to you and the boat with the tree coming out of it. I don't think you have been around since 2008. Welcome back. When I saw you last you I was just starting my repower and you were just opening up the shop. Glad business is going well for you.

Take a hard look around before you jump on a boat down south. Dick Dean has put his boat up for sale and there are probably a few others local around.

So what did you do with the old hull? I hope you did not scrap it. Some one will pick it up off of you.

How did you make out with Sany? Sounds like you made out ok ifhte shop is doing well.

Hang around for a while, we need some more new blood or old blood returining to the Sand Box.

Hope fully the guys will help you find what you are looking for.

By the way were is the shop set up in Point Pleasant. Every once in a while I make my way up that way. Not too oftern in the summer, but my wife likes to stop in at shop up there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tom-Dick Dean's boat is a gas powered Bahia Mar that he has always kept in very nice shape. He, like me is hitting 79 and is being pressured by family to pack it in while I can. Mine is a 66 Sportsfisherman Model powered by two Cummins 6bt's. Cruises (clean bottom) @ 22kts (end of season 21 kts). Burns 1.7 gph per and is in Montauk, NY. If you are in any way interested, e-mail me your address and I'll dend you some pictures. My e-mail is wkapriel@optonline.net. Walter Kaprielian
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Walter: In my opinion, if you died on your boat doing what you love you would be a lucky man!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

hey tony ya shops busy its on 88 in lakewood on the strip of dealers, called auto dynamix .
still got the old hull im gonna clean it up and put it up for sale if a new boat comes my way i always look around for good deals on one think the one down south sounds pretty good nothing set in stone yet .
sandy got me pretty good bought a house in point did the whole forst floor over first when i bought it october 2011 now im redoing the first floor again had about a foot of water in it i heard every year you should put in new carpet and furniture anyway lollol
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

1962-31...

I am not familiar with the boat you mention, but I live in Wilmington and can check it out for you if you like. Just shoot me any info you have on where she might be and I will take a look for you.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if your still looking in 3 to 4 months i would be happy to check it out with frank
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

Sandy was tough, but glad to hear you are able to put it all back together.

I came close but escaped any water.

P lives up your way. You should check out his ride. Chimera is sweet.

I don't head up to lakewood too often. If I ever find myself up that way I will stop in.

Good luck in your search. If I see anything that looks good I will let you know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

going to take a ride down south this weekend and get a look at her Ill let ya know how it goes
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

If you are going to be here in Wilmington this weekend and need a local "guide" feel free to give me a call.. 508-878-0987

Frank
Frank B
--------------
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

just got back to town today spent the weekend in wilmington what a fun town!!! im in contract with the boat went for visual inspection and sea trial witch both went good. The boat ran great sounded great looked good will need some updating but for the price i think i wont find better. does anyone have a good surveyer in north carolina they can recomend i nhave a three year old survey but i would like to find somebody who isnt friends with the broker and the seller seems like a good idea to me heres a link to the boat any input would be grreat thanks
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... steryachts&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have a great surveyor here in Wilmington I have worked with before.. give me a call at the above number and I can hook you up with him.
Frank B
--------------
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

Congratulations. If the survey turns out good, looks like a great deal. Good luck with her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

got the survey back nothing that was unexpected for age /price guy is going to do a few repairs before i agree on the boat main concern fiberglass tank i know the problems involved and looked at the plugs on the boat they looked clean of coarse they say they never used ethanol in it but.... so im going to run it home with some cockpit bombs and disconnect the main tank. Roughly whats the cost of a new tank ill install but just wanted an idea of what ill be shelling out if i get her home
opunui

Post by opunui »

Looks like a great deal.plan on spending 3000.00+ for tank and install.
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That price sounds about right for North Carolina, not up north. Based on some prior threads, it seems you folks up in the northeast pay a premium for being at higher latitudes. If you are interested in getting it done down there, before you haul, I can recommend a tank fabricator and shop in Wilmington.

Good Luck!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
John F.

Post by John F. »

My B31 tank a few years ago was just under $2K, epoxy coated and delivered. I used Patriot in NJ for the tankbased on a recommendation I got off the site. I highly recommend them. I did the install myself. Not hard, just kind of a pia. Good luck with the new ride.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

John is right Patriot is the place to go. They are in Forked River right off Rt 9 in the industrial park. If you remember when you came over to see me, I was in Ricks marina. Stay on 9 go past where you turned left to get to my boat. They are just past their on the right just before the power plant.

I beleive if you want it powder coated, they can help out with that. At least they used to be able too.

Tom one other thing. If you want to keep the tank clean, no ethanol, possible use for a future diesel conversion if needed, you can purchase Aviation fuel for about 6 bucks a gallon at any private airport.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

should i keep this boat documented or just register it here in nj I never dealt with doing this wanted to see the pros or cons thanks guys
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used my B31 for pleasure only, and didn't have a loan on it. When I bought it, it was USCG documented. When I checked into USCG documentation, there were no advantages to documentation that I could see--no lien, no international waters, I had to pay MD state tax no matter what, etc. So, I didn't continue the documentation.

My understanding at the time was that USCG documentation had been a way to get around state sales tax (that changed at least in MD), and is required by lenders if you have a loan.

That's what I remember, but its been a dozen years or so.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

John F. wrote:I had to pay MD state tax no matter what, etc.
As a professional tax crook, I can't tell you the number of people -- several of which owed well into the 100s of thousands of dollars of USE tax (the duplicate of sales tax) on vessels that they bought and only documented but used in US waters. There are ways around it, but if you are playing with the idea of avoiding sales/use tax on a boat, but sure to hire a competent tax expert or you will be up you know what creek without a paddle. It is easy for the states to track you down, in fact many states now have programs where they will split the tax penalty and interest collected with local governments in order to catch more boats that are using state waters but not registered.

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

If you document it, you still have to register it in NJ each year, so the State will gets it's piece no matter what.

NJ marine police also watch for boats that don't leave the State for 6 months. So if they see out of State registration or a documented boat with that they trace back with no NJ Registration, that boat had better leave NJ for a bit or else you are in trouble. You do not have to put the NJ Registration on the Hull, but be prepared with the proper paperwork if you are stopped.

I would think the only other advantage is tracing the history of the boat or in case it is stolen. But I am sure their are others that know more about it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Tony:

I am aware that if you document, you are still required to register in state -- however, a lot of boat owners think they don't need to -- especially the people that move their boat South for the winter. You are 100% correct on all points, but a lot of boaters aren't as savvy.

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:Tony:

I am aware that if you document, you are still required to register in state -- however, a lot of boat owners think they don't need to -- especially the people that move their boat South for the winter. You are 100% correct on all points, but a lot of boaters aren't as savvy.

Tom

Tom

Sorry meant for Tom buying the boat. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Tony Meola wrote:
No worries Tony, I was hoping that the masses would note that the 1980s "tax planning" of documenting your boat to a PO Box in say North Carolina where there is miniscule maximum sales tax on boats or other boat tax haven would realize that it is fairly easy and routine to get caught in that type of game.

Tom