Dealing with condensation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Clark

Dealing with condensation

Post by J Clark »

I need advice on the best method of dealing with condensation in the cabin of my B31. I have reverse cyle A/C, but it is not cost effective to run all of the time, even with the themosatat turn down. Can some one recommend a dehumidifier (brand). I have removed the v-birth headliner and the hull side vinyl covering, the underlying padding was thin foam, riddled with mildew. Any suggestions as to an altenative to the vinyl hull side covering and if any, an alternative to a fabric headliner. I am thinking about using marine ultra suede. Thanks, Jim
bmendenhall

Post by bmendenhall »

I recently purchased a "golden rod" for the cabin. It keeps the inside a few degrees warmer than the outside and therefore expands the air and pushes it out and hopefull keeps alot of the moisture out as well. I've had them in some gun safes for years and have never had any issues with them overheating or causing problems.

I have the 36" model and it seems to be working everywhere escept the fromt of the v berth (the cap over the anchor rode is missing and rain goes right into the anchor locker and lets some extra moisture build upin the front). I've only had it in for a few weeks but am happy so far. Brian
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I use a 100w light bulb left on and it works ok
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A dehumidifyer is nothing more than an Air Con.
A compressor cools a coil which collects and dumps the moisure into a pan or out to a drain, the same thing your AC does.
Instead of the fan blowing out cool air, the fan is on the condensor coil blowing hot.

Won't save a whole lot of electric.

Light bulbs, golden rods work but also draw electric. You can buy thermostats for your air con that have a dehumid function that will run it every so often, instead of all the time.

I would get a hygrometer and measure the RH and decide from there how low you want the RH to go. 70%, 50% or what and then see which device will do it.

Generaly heat to remove moisture is good. But leaving an enclosed area to that type of heat can dry and split wood if you have veners(s?) or thin strips if it gets too hot.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I use a Happy's Air Dry which is a low wattage electric coil in an aluminum box with holes in it. Place it on the v-berth just under the front hatch and then put a regular ole electric table fan (on low) on the floor blowing into the v-berth area. Keeps everything dry as a bone even here in Coonassland.

UV
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have two 100 watt light bulbs in the cabin and four 100 watt light bulbs between the engines. This works for me.
A/K/A El Gaupo