Windshield Replacement Progress

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Windshield Replacement Progress

Post by Vince Luciani »

Ok guys the warm weather finally arrived and allowed me to make some good progress on my replacement windshield. Below are some photos. I am not going to say that the project has been easy, but it has gone relatively smoothly. My costs to date are approximately $700 and that includes the side window replacement work. I do have a good number of manhours invested. If I had to guess it would be in the neighborhood of about 80 -100 hours. I am in the homestretch and hope to finish painting in the next two weeks. My plan is to simply cleanup the interior this year so I will probably leave only primer. Next year I plan to do the interior and will paint the inside.
This is an alternative that saves some money (depending upon how you value your own labor cost LOL!). However, I don’t want to sway anyone to go this route thinking they can save a ton of money. You have to earn the savings because it’s not exactly easy work. I am simply putting this out there on the site, because I know myself how much I like to see other guy’s project photos.
I am extremely pleased with the results, but I will say that my shoulders are still sore from the longboarding!

Cut out and supported frame one section at a time
Vince Luciani

Re: Windshield Replacement Progress

Post by Vince Luciani »

Cut out and supported frame one section at a time
Epoxy into place Prefabricated Section
Other Side
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

All Sections installed
Glass Joints
Fairing Process
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

First Coat of Primer
Some Photos of Inside
Homemade Longboard
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Do you have any bolts holding this thing in or are you relying on only the glass to keep it in?
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

I've got about 30 screws (1/4") from underneath into the new sections. Same screw holes wher the existing aluminum frame was screwed. Also, I have about 10 or 12 drilled on an angle thru the top edge of the new glass sections into the boat. They are glassed over so you can't see them. Also, the bottom joint is glassed both inside and outside (one layer of 1708) and the top joint will be glassed on the inside only.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Vince I for one appreciate the investment of labor in a project...Nice job..im having flashbacks with that longboard pic...I would take a handful of advil before I went to work with that monster. The results speak for themselves..keep up the good work..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words! I know that what I lack in skills I make up for with pit bull determination. As I am sure you can relate, it's just so rewarding to do these projects. What's scary to me is that I am getting to the point where I get almost as much out of doing projects on the boat as fishing on it. Notice I said ALMOST (LOL).

By the way, your project is awesome. It looks like it's going to be quite a battlewagon. Good Stuff!

Vince
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

You're doing good Vince! Nothing takes the place of pride in yourself for a good outcome of a self done accomplishment...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Nice Vince, I can feel your pain. I have been long boarding for the last three weeks. It's such a good feeling seeing the project take shape. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Capt. Pat and Joe, you are so right! Capt Pat, should take a little pride here also. It's because of you and this site that amateurs like me can accomplish such things.
Sincere thanks,

Vince
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nicely done. That looks like a lot if time spent planning and working hard---really hard.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J