Bertram 25 -- it might be floating this year

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Bertram 25 -- it might be floating this year

Post by TailhookTom »

There is a possibility that I might be crazy enough to do another project -- the 31 only took what 5 years? Long story short, I have a 1973 Bertram 25 that was running when it was put away 12 years ago. The motors did run, as did the pre-alpha one outdrives. The beautiful little boat was a hardtop which someone literally did a chainsaw massacre to and made it into an open boat (as Liam Niesen said in Taken, I will find you, and I will kill you). So, I have a great idea of ripping out the old motors and dropping in a set of 3.0s with alpha ones as that seems to be the perfect combination. The boat has been completeled cosmetically and is rewired as well. The issue is -- what's everyone who has a 25 doing for a fuel tank? I know it has to come out. I'd like to add more fuel by using that open are between the seats and doing a little glass work. I got a quote from a fabricator up here in New England it was around 4,000 for an aluminum tank, not even platiunum at that price. I found Moeller makes USCG approved below deck polyethalene tanks that come in various shapes and was thinking two of their 55 gallon belly tanks might work.

So, since the B25 site appears to be pushing up daisies, what do you all think/advise? Anyone have the dimensions of their 25 tank? Since the tank is immaculate, maybe I should spring for a single diesel and it becomes a non-issue? Post Hurricane Sandy, I'm not going to throw that kind of money into the boat just to save the fuel tank money -- I've had to redo and refurnish the entire first floor including all appliances, FEMA and Flood Insurance are not all that generous when it "isn't your primary residence."

I might put it back inside and pick up an already running newer boat -- it seems there are bargains out there, I'm in the market for 23-27 feet so who knows if this will happen.

Thanks and best regards,

Tom
CamB25

Re: Bertram 25 -- it might be floating this year

Post by CamB25 »

Tom,

The limiting dimensions of the tank are defined by the height to the deck w/clearances for fills, width between stringers, and length between cross stringers. For an unmodifed 25 with a 3/4" tank bed resting on the keel ridge, the maximum height of the tank is 13", width is 42" (need 4x 3 edge chamfers), and length is 40 1/2". This tank yields 80 gallons. You can't fit more in a single tank configuration without structural mods, but you can add an auxillary tank in the depression between the seats. This could be covered with teak slats for a classic look. Technically this would be a "portable" tank since it is not permanently housed in the boat. You could run a separate, detachable fuel line to this tank. 3 way valve at the engine filter. This is the cheapest, easiest way I can think of to add tankage to the 25. I can e-mail you my 80 gallon aluminum tank design if you desire.

If it were me, I would forget about the twin 4 bangers and install a single V-8 with a duo-prop. Since you have the 250 GM straight sixes in the boat, your engine bay is extra long, and the V-8 should drop in without deck mods (you will need to make engine beds). Cutting/grinding out the old transom wood (2 layers of 3/4 ply) and replacing with a new plug is relatively easy and can be done without touching the deck and you will have to do this regardless of your power choice. Only remove the rotted wood around the old engine cut-outs. There is no need to completely remove the entire wood plug from the transom unless the rot extends that far (unlikely). A few layers of 1708 over the whole area will suffice. These transoms are very stout.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

As a refugee from the Bert 25 site, I was just about to post some tank installation questions and photos. When I bought my 69 25 convert in 2011 it came with a replacement AL 90 gallon tank installed in 2006. Lasted until the first day of my vacation in Aug 2012 when I discovered 90 gallons leaking into the bilge. Long story. But can give you dimensions, photos etc., when I have time to look them up later. I had planned a quick fix and replace in order get it back in the water before the end of the boating season until I discovered the amount of wood rot and poor design underneath. Not to mention having to let it air and dry out for a good bit before it was safe work on.

Hoping mine is floating again in a couple of months.

BTW, still have 80 gallons of fuel mixed with some oil and water I'd like to get rid of !!

John
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

When I did mine Tom back in 2005 I did a stainless steel from Doug at Nautic Marine. As you will see by my handy dandy diagram the price he quoted me has gone off the map stupid expensive since that time. My tank was based on an external dimension of the old tank pieces harvested from the belly of Razorsharp. I reduced the dimension roughly by the thickness of the old glass one and the new one slid in on a new bed of lexan I placed on the old bed to make a smooth ridng surface. wrapped the tank in plastic, foamed the sides, pulled it back out and removed the bag and dropped it in place. A heavy coat of rubberized undercoating was applied to the tank for rust prevention as well. Original was 112 gal the new one is 108.

Patrick recommends Polyumec (I think) as the latest greatest tank material. http://www.polyumac.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dont mind my hen scratching on the side it was banter back and forth between Doug and I. Nautic is not making fuel tanks anymore but he is still making something for the military out of stainless. I was sworn to secrecy. :)

72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was lucky enough to have attended three of Uncle Vic's UVI's. On two of them I as part of the crew of Judge Trey Dibrell's 25 hardtop that he trailed to Venice for the event. I can say without hesitation that that boat, powered by two 3.0's with Alpha 1 outdrives literally flew and sipped fuel. It fished the same waters as the 28's and 31's and came back to the same fuel dock to fill up where the fuel consumption was easily compared. I am pretty sure Trey still has the boat. Check him out. Walter
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I might put it back inside and pick up an already running newer boat -- it seems there are bargains out there, I'm in the market for 23-27 feet so who knows if this will happen.
This might be the right call unless you want a project. Regardless of the power choice, I suspect you are looking at $30k - $40k to have the work done. You can buy your choice of good runners in the mid 20 foot range for this kind of money.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

In the why spend my own money analysis, I easily located a 1965 25 Moppie here in Connecticut with low hour Mercruiser 3.0s, matching Alpha One drives, new fuel tank, new soft top, new outriggers, older electronics, sitting on a tandem axel trailer for $16,900. Makes the thoughts of redoing mine seem pretty stupid! Cosmetically, parts of it look its age, some parts don't but the last I checked, cushions and Imron cost a whole lot less than iron.

Tom

PS -- I'm looking at it on saturday -- the last two boats I looked at pictures then boat were 100% old pictures, so I'm skeptical on this, but we will see.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Sounds good. might make a good parts donner for your boat
1963 Bertram 25
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I'd be more inclined to let mine go and just do the cosmetics on this one.