Another AC question, where to locate the cooling outflow?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Another AC question, where to locate the cooling outflow?

Post by Dug »

I am installing the through hulls myself. Not the first time I have done this stuff.

Here is what is being proposed so far.

Install the ac unit itself in the cabinetry behind the refrigerator. This makes sense to me.

Per Captain Patrick, the intake will be between the engines, as close to the centerline as possible.

It has been recommended that I put the outflow further back on the boat, to say, the engine compartment, so I can look down from the bridge if necessary and see the water is flowing. I might not be able to do this if it is further forward under say the sink area.

Does this make sense? Others who have ac, where is your ac outflow? I appreciate your answers in advance!!! I am a complete ac newbie, but am tired of steaming in the heat of summer. I know, I know, toughen up, right? ;)

Thank you!!

Dug
TailhookTom

Re: Another AC question, where to locate the cooling outflow

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

If it was me, I'd get one of those beer can type hats and modify it so the flow of cooling water could be felt across the top of my bald, hot, head.

BTW, keep in mind I've been reading the technical issues surrounding the credit the State of Washington gives with respect to the Hazardous Substance and Petroleum Product Tax for taxes paid in other states -- but our crackerjack sales force doesn't feel I need to know which product it is that we sell to the customer who is being audited in Washington State for the tax in question. Cold fusion would require less.

Tom
Last edited by TailhookTom on Apr 2nd, '13, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I tee'd mine into the sink drain. It tends to run down the side of the hull quietly instead of streaming out like a bilge pump. The normal outflow seems to be just above the waterline and close to the ac unit. Hearing the telltale of water flow can be a good thing during jellyfish season. On the downside the sound of running water makes folks pee more.

I also have noticeable hull staining after a few days of running. No big deal just a little extra scum line to clean.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom, you are too much! LOL!

Ed, I thought about the sink drain area. Its just that its below the chine on my boat. I don't really want to run the hose back from the unit too far, but I think it makes sense so its in a place I can access, and see it run out of the boat easily. I don't really want to put it 8 inches above the chine type of placement, but hmmm.... I hear you completely when it comes to the water running sound effect!

Thanks!
John F.

Post by John F. »

Dug-

I take it this is for use running with a genny as well as dockside. If you're going to be sleeping on the boat dockside with the A/C, I'd keep my outflow down by the chine. The closer to the waterline it is, the quieter it will be. I installed mine under the front dinette seat (settee?). It was a little loud if you were sleeping there, although the kids slept there and never complained. If I were going to do it again, I'd install it in the head in that cabinet where the sink is in. Someone here, maybe Bob Lico, did that. It seems to me that'd be a quieter place, it'd be easy to get at, and you'd have shorter intake/outflow runs. Just a thought.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes john that was my recommendation .the a/c goes in the the head adjacent to the toilet in the vanity.with lover in bottom of head door for return air. ductwork goes thru vanity behind galley with tee in line with output in saloon and one in v-berth wall next to starboard side (from galley tee in duct) . john this is critical 62 pounds of a/c in v-berth is the equivalent of 620 pounds in bow .good for bay or lake use only. with light engines she will duck dive in anything over 6'.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Dug, in Seachele i put a u shaped settee on the port side. Just forward of the port side bulkhead is where I put the unit. Now this is important. Put a hatch over it so you can disconnect and remove the unit( practice this ). You will need todo this at some point especially if you use it a lot like I do. 24\365 in fla. It prevents mold and keeps the interior clean. By the way the return is in the base of the settee and ducting runs forward and up the port locker to a tee. 6 incher to v berth, 2 4s for cabin and a 2 to the head. 68 degree berth in 93deg day in S Fla. Hope this helps no noise issues either.
Bill